1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. pete
    Like x 12

What's looking exotic in June.

Oooops, sorry Kristen!! You are so politea proper gent sir, Jenny
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

CANNA 2018

Who's turn is it to start it this ?? :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. r2oo

Overwintering a banana plant?

Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus,...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus, Gloriosa etc.I am not that good at it myself. But I think the key is to have them in very very slightly...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus, Gloriosa etc.I am not that good at it myself. But I...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Tip broken off Cordyline - is it a gonner?

Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. joolz68
    Like x 7

Canna 2016

Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    aug 11th (1).JPG 20160424-P4240021.jpg canna.jpg DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sal73
    Like x 3

Variegated and Chimeras

Don't know if @sal73 has seen this yet Rochelle. I've tagged him for you :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

CANNA - 2017

Always worth experimenting though pete. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. noisette47

Saving a banana...

I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the pot and left the rootball intact with a couple of leaves. It survived in the frost free greenhouse...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the pot and left the rootball intact with a couple of...
    I turn my red ensete upside down for a few days prior to over wintering to drain out as much water as possible. I've not found a sure fire way of storing it though. Last winter I took it out the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. catztail

brugmansia question

I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

What's looking Exotic in 2023

Link to new threadWhat's looking Exotic 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

NEWLY BOUGHT TREE FERN

I've not looked specifically at Tree Ferns but all the bigger tender plants that I like have certainly shot up in price over the last couple of years.
    I've not looked specifically at Tree Ferns but all the bigger tender plants that I like have certainly shot up in price over the last couple of years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. longk
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK

Exotic seed swap anyone?

LINK to the Cuttings Thread, just in case anyone needs it
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hurstwood brugs.

Sphaerocarpium Brugmansia

Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is that they have the hardiness of the Arborea. Hope...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood Bryony  Quality (Large).JPG insertimage.gif attach.gif Hurstwood Elinor Black BG with star (Large).jpg Hurstwood Bow Black BG PS (Large).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PeterS
    Like x 13

The Jungle Garden - Nick Wilson - Leeds

I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8...
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8 1NXIt's well worth a visit.
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8 1NXIt's well worth a visit.
    I would like to remind you that The Jungle Garden in Leeds is open under the National Gardens Scheme on Sunday 30 July 11 am to 5 pm. Full details here The Jungle Garden, Leeds, Yorkshire, LS8...
    article-2345727-1A6F6F2C000005DC-614_634x421.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PeterS
    Like x 10

The flowers of Madeira.

i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK
    Like x 6

CANNA 2019

Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    IMG_20180817_085621067 (2).jpg DSCN1712.JPG 20190126_113423.jpg Screenshot_20190126-131407_Chrome.jpg 20190215_144606.jpg 20190215_121028.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. joolz68

Tropical theme ideas plz gang

Thanks salamander,its in the greenhouse now as im not sure on its hardiness or age so il keep it safe for now til i find some info on it:) bought it from The lost world nursery thou they didnt have...
    Thanks salamander,its in the greenhouse now as im not sure on its hardiness or age so il keep it safe for now til i find some info on it:) bought it from The lost world nursery thou they didnt have a lot of stock online last time i looked.
    Thanks salamander,its in the greenhouse now as im not sure on its hardiness or age so il keep it safe for now til i find some info on it:) bought it from The lost world nursery thou they didnt have a lot of stock online last time i looked.
    Thanks salamander,its in the greenhouse now as im not sure on its hardiness or age so il keep it safe for now til i find some info on it:) bought it from The lost world nursery thou they didnt have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sal73

Mango and Papaya

Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Jaakko.JPG FCE6B969-CD5C-487C-BDBE-1A8CA6078456.jpeg 2EFBAF7A-F529-431A-ADCD-3623A3A4D097.jpeg DSC_0239.JPG 2F97406F-F46A-4202-AE08-B88FA2A2028D.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. sal73

Schefflera taiwaniana

Thank you again Gaz ; )....so far it look like i will have to wait till spring and maybe will be more lucky . Thank you all and please any nice suggestion about unusual hardy plants are more then...
    Thank you again Gaz ; )....so far it look like i will have to wait till spring and maybe will be more lucky . Thank you all and please any nice suggestion about unusual hardy plants are more then welcome.
    Thank you again Gaz ; )....so far it look like i will have to wait till spring and maybe will be more lucky . Thank you all and please any nice suggestion about unusual hardy plants are more then welcome.
    Thank you again Gaz ; )....so far it look like i will have to wait till spring and maybe will be more lucky . Thank you all and please any nice suggestion about unusual hardy plants are more then...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice