1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. sal73
    Like x 8

Horror Plants

I would love to be able to get hold of some of those Aristolochias. Have seen Hydnora in the wild. It is a parasite that attaches itself to the roots of plants - mainly Acacia trees. You don't...
    I would love to be able to get hold of some of those Aristolochias. Have seen Hydnora in the wild. It is a parasite that attaches itself to the roots of plants - mainly Acacia trees. You don't see the plant at all. Only the flower (if you can call it that :yikes:) emerges from the soil.
    I would love to be able to get hold of some of those Aristolochias. Have seen Hydnora in the wild. It is a parasite that attaches itself to the roots of plants - mainly Acacia trees. You don't see the plant at all. Only the flower (if you can...
    I would love to be able to get hold of some of those Aristolochias. Have seen Hydnora in the wild. It is a parasite that attaches itself to the roots of plants - mainly Acacia trees. You don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Bilbo675

Musa Ornata 'Aurea' x sikkimensis banana

Looks like a good idea to me @mowgley . Those stems dont look nearly strong enough, to me, to survive the winter even if wrapped.As its not that big, better to be safe than sorry.
    Looks like a good idea to me @mowgley . Those stems dont look nearly strong enough, to me, to survive the winter even if wrapped.As its not that big, better to be safe than sorry.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Wayne
    Like x 4

Brugmansia Yellow Aurea

:dbgrtmb: Thats beautiful
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK
    Like x 17

JWK's Tropical border

Thanks again Kristen. I don't have time to build one so it's going on my birthday/fathers day list :)
    Thanks again Kristen. I don't have time to build one so it's going on my birthday/fathers day list :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Victoria
    Like x 8

Jatropha multifida

I took four leaves off the multifida an two off the podagrica and think another two will have to go. The podariga did this last year.
    I took four leaves off the multifida an two off the podagrica and think another two will have to go. The podariga did this last year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Bilbo675

Best Chance of Success with Banana Seeds?

Bent but not to bent according to Our EU friends :lunapic 130165696578242 5: Seriously though still might give it a go. I too have seen the superbum on jungle seeds and i like the zebra a too!
    Bent but not to bent according to Our EU friends :lunapic 130165696578242 5: Seriously though still might give it a go. I too have seen the superbum on jungle seeds and i like the zebra a too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Victoria

Adenium obesum (Desert Rose)

That's a nice looking plant @Victoria, nice and strong and the flower is a pleasant colour
    That's a nice looking plant @Victoria, nice and strong and the flower is a pleasant colour
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sal73
    Like x 4

Tropical Nursery Bargains in Bedford

Added :-
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. longk
    Like x 4

Potting up Dendrobium keiki's

Thanks Scotkat and PeterS.PeterS - thank my insomnia affliction (and the really annoying tickly cough that I have at the moment)! I'll no doubt have to tackle a repot soon (I keep putting that...
    Thanks Scotkat and PeterS.PeterS - thank my insomnia affliction (and the really annoying tickly cough that I have at the moment)! I'll no doubt have to tackle a repot soon (I keep putting that job off), so I'll do a similar post then too. I'm growing plants that I would not have been growing...
    Thanks Scotkat and PeterS.PeterS - thank my insomnia affliction (and the really annoying tickly cough that I have at the moment)! I'll no doubt have to tackle a repot soon (I keep putting that job off), so I'll do a similar post then too. I'm...
    Thanks Scotkat and PeterS.PeterS - thank my insomnia affliction (and the really annoying tickly cough that I have at the moment)! I'll no doubt have to tackle a repot soon (I keep putting that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. longk
    Like x 3

Strelitzia juncea

Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the...
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the outside axils which are younger, or just the central ones?
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the outside axils which are younger, or just the...
    Pete - I have never had a flowering Strelitzia. Where exactly do the flower shoots come from. Is it from every leaf axil? and do you just get one flower per axil? Do you also get flowers from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kristen

Solanum Laciniatum / Kangaroo Apple

Kristen what about one of thisis that impressive enough? another one on my growing list for next year is (again) cyphomandra corymbiflora the hardy tomato tree.
    Kristen what about one of thisis that impressive enough? another one on my growing list for next year is (again) cyphomandra corymbiflora the hardy tomato tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PeterS

Brugmansia cuttings

That's really kind of you Pete:dbgrtmb:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sal73
    Like x 4

My first tropical is in

Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep pests away . You can buy it in any superstore like tesco or morrison , but it`s advised to get it from...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep pests away . You can buy it in any superstore like...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Greybelle

Hawaiian Palm

The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second which was much larger whose leaves went yellow and...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first one was fine for 3 weeks so I bought the second...
    The plants both arrived with a fantastic crown of leaves like the pictures and leaves were growing from the top. Was warned that the leaves would fall off and then re-grow from August. The first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK
    Like x 5

Carnivorous plants

I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them freeze overnight tonight to kill off the moss and allow me to re use the soil. Well there's...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them freeze overnight tonight to kill off the moss and...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

Exotic plants in Lidl - Musa Basjoo

Bilbo I`m sure that your £2.50 musa will look great near the other musa you already have or even better near the bananas puppy that all the musa are producing after all this rain :dbgrtmb:. Now that I...
    Bilbo I`m sure that your £2.50 musa will look great near the other musa you already have or even better near the bananas puppy that all the musa are producing after all this rain :dbgrtmb:. Now that I remember i bough another musa just because I was thinking to plant in the soil and see how will it come...
    Bilbo I`m sure that your £2.50 musa will look great near the other musa you already have or even better near the bananas puppy that all the musa are producing after all this rain :dbgrtmb:. Now that I remember i bough another musa just because I was...
    Bilbo I`m sure that your £2.50 musa will look great near the other musa you already have or even better near the bananas puppy that all the musa are producing after all this rain :dbgrtmb:. Now that I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sal73
    Like x 4

Musa tropicana

You mean I got something right ?? :dancy:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bilbo675
    Like x 8

What's Looking Exotic in October 2012

See also: What's looking exotic in November 2012 What's Looking Good - Month-by-month Index
    See also: What's looking exotic in November 2012 What's Looking Good - Month-by-month Index
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sal73

Rare Plants

Ha ha ha!! You're beginning to see it as I do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. HarryS

Canna Selection Advice

I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold water and get great germination rates
    I know it's a bit late about starting seed but I start mine with boiling water I put them in a cup and pour over fresh boiled water till you hear a popping then pour out the water and put in cold...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice