1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. aways987

Building a tropical garden in Essex

Looking good aways! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. gardenlearner

hardy tropical plants

Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying colocasia esculenta or elephant ears plant. They do love heat and moisture so I am going to plant...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying colocasia esculenta or elephant ears plant. They...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster

Ginkgo Biloba

Oh Steve what a lovely site thank you I can never find things like this...but I am only a learner still havn't managed the photo thing yet but when my 30 geranium planlets are all in blossom...
    Oh Steve what a lovely site thank you I can never find things like this...but I am only a learner still havn't managed the photo thing yet but when my 30 geranium planlets are all in blossom �£3.50 from B/Q I will have another go.
    Oh Steve what a lovely site thank you I can never find things like this...but I am only a learner still havn't managed the photo thing yet but when my 30 geranium planlets are all in blossom �£3.50 from B/Q I will have another go.
    Oh Steve what a lovely site thank you I can never find things like this...but I am only a learner still havn't managed the photo thing yet but when my 30 geranium planlets are all in blossom...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. longk
    Like x 6

What's looking exotic in August 2013

At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella Lasiocarpa was going to flower this year, but its not quite gotten too it. It has produced a couple of...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella Lasiocarpa was going to flower this year, but its...
    At the start of the year I planted out four Musa Sikkimensis I grew from seed over the winter - Ive just left them to get on with it & they have done really well: -- I was hoping that Musella...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Tip broken off Cordyline - is it a gonner?

Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Hahaha ... NOW I see the canes :) I think I was distracted by the bench before ... :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Bob

Canna

I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make some sort of bog garden area, I think I would try and bury them in pots so I can lift them in the...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make some sort of bog garden area, I think I would try and...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Waco

Banana seeds

8 weeks 2 daysHang in there!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Banana Man

October Bananaman's Hide-Out

:)Bananas by Christmas then BM.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. HarryS

Hardy Palm Suggestion?

Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. kazzie_SE

Lemon and banana possible problems

Yeah, I've used washing up liquid in the past on aphids, you need to make sure you squirt every last one. Plus as I say, I dont like wetting plants this time of the year.:)
    Yeah, I've used washing up liquid in the past on aphids, you need to make sure you squirt every last one. Plus as I say, I dont like wetting plants this time of the year.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. longk

Brugmansia sanguinea

Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Banana Man

Banana Update

Rosa I mean't to say to you don't put the banana on or over any wooden furniture as the leaves perspire at night and will leave small pools of water on your best furniture
    Rosa I mean't to say to you don't put the banana on or over any wooden furniture as the leaves perspire at night and will leave small pools of water on your best furniture
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PeterS

Giant banana - Ensete montbeliardii

Yup. Any banana growing in an exposed site looks manky.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fof

Orchid advice. please

Our Phals flower stems are always left on. If they go brown then we know that there is no chance of reflowering. If they remain green then they will send up new flower spikes from that stem. We...
    Our Phals flower stems are always left on. If they go brown then we know that there is no chance of reflowering. If they remain green then they will send up new flower spikes from that stem. We have some phals that flower and flower and flower.
    Our Phals flower stems are always left on. If they go brown then we know that there is no chance of reflowering. If they remain green then they will send up new flower spikes from that stem. We have some phals that flower and flower and flower.
    Our Phals flower stems are always left on. If they go brown then we know that there is no chance of reflowering. If they remain green then they will send up new flower spikes from that stem. We...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

NEWLY BOUGHT TREE FERN

I've not looked specifically at Tree Ferns but all the bigger tender plants that I like have certainly shot up in price over the last couple of years.
    I've not looked specifically at Tree Ferns but all the bigger tender plants that I like have certainly shot up in price over the last couple of years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

Cannas 2022

I'll be digging up the ones in the ground and potting up to over winter. There's one that's just bloomed that I have no idea what it is!
    I'll be digging up the ones in the ground and potting up to over winter. There's one that's just bloomed that I have no idea what it is!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. thered

Tree fern help is it dead?

Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll...
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll on it to the extent that the struggle to survive was just too much this year.
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll on it to the extent that the struggle to survive...
    Steel rots, so not too sure as to the implications of that on a Tree Fern, but it can be bad for the human body (especially the blood stream).Quite possible that they have taken their toll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. longk
    Like x 3

Datura wrightii

Hiya Keith(?). TBH, I hadn't expected them to be in a hurry to germinate, my previous post was meant as an update. Anyway, I'll do as you suggest and move them if nothing happens in a week. ...
    Hiya Keith(?). TBH, I hadn't expected them to be in a hurry to germinate, my previous post was meant as an update. Anyway, I'll do as you suggest and move them if nothing happens in a week. Cheers...Freddy.
    Hiya Keith(?). TBH, I hadn't expected them to be in a hurry to germinate, my previous post was meant as an update. Anyway, I'll do as you suggest and move them if nothing happens in a week. Cheers...Freddy.
    Hiya Keith(?). TBH, I hadn't expected them to be in a hurry to germinate, my previous post was meant as an update. Anyway, I'll do as you suggest and move them if nothing happens in a week. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. flowerpotty

canna plants

I don`t know Dee, I think you may be edging it.:thumb::D
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. *dim*

Exotic/Tropical border costing

I wish you both all the best and really hope she finds her feet again soon. And you too, don't forget to make sometime for yourself while you look after her :thumbsup:
    I wish you both all the best and really hope she finds her feet again soon. And you too, don't forget to make sometime for yourself while you look after her :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice