1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Coolsox

New Bird Of Paradise....

This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of 19c, be kept moist and as much light as...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems to me they have to have a minimum winter temp of...
    This from a thread on HTUK:"I can tell you they don't like temperatures between 10-15c or being kept on the dry side. Given quite a few away and I'm left with one and thats looking ropey! Seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. hydrogardener

Bougainvillea for the greenhouse

Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sal73
    Like x 3

Giant alocasia

Very interesting, thanks. Don't tell him you are an Exotic Plant Affectionado ... or his prices will go up 10x !!
    Very interesting, thanks. Don't tell him you are an Exotic Plant Affectionado ... or his prices will go up 10x !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sal73

yucca aloifolia purpurea

Thank you Wayne , is your plant outdoor or potted? ps more sunshine????? did you see any around???? where i can buy some of it?????
    Thank you Wayne , is your plant outdoor or potted? ps more sunshine????? did you see any around???? where i can buy some of it?????
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. c_knights

Canna/Agapanthus - killed by frost?

:gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I just cleared all that away & cut them back till I found hard flesh & so far most of them are slowly...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I just cleared all that away & cut them back till I...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sirius
    Like x 3

Aloes

I think you are right with Brevifolia Sirius. It will be interesting to see how they have fared in a month or so.
    I think you are right with Brevifolia Sirius. It will be interesting to see how they have fared in a month or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. longk
    Like x 5

Furcraea

After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. shiney

What's looking Exotic in 2021

2022 Thread : What's looking Exotic in 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jurassic Gardener

Tetrapanax Help Please

Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Wait :biggrin:. Best to make sure that it doesn't dry out but don't over water. I'd resist feeding.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. John Harruison

Gloriosa superba

To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the end of the season.
    To me the top and bottom parts look like babies. The stump in the middle looks like this years spent tuber. So I would be hoping for two vines next year with three or four tubers for 2016 by the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Stingo

Ceropegia Woodii

Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves from all the nodes,I then snip off the stems joining each rooted node and pot them up in a gritty...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves from all the nodes,I then snip off the stems joining...
    Just use a piece of the plant with a few nodes lay it on the mix in a seed tray and just lightly cover each nodal area with some of the mix & within about 8 weeks you should have roots & leaves...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In September 2013

New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. SimonZ

Celosia deficiency?

It is an annual as stated above, it is just dying off, not worth even trying to feed or over winter it.
    It is an annual as stated above, it is just dying off, not worth even trying to feed or over winter it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73
    Like x 7

Tony`s Tropicals plants

Tony is Legend :dbgrtmb: Plus he plays the Squeeze box and trumpet :wub2: TOP MAN
    Tony is Legend :dbgrtmb: Plus he plays the Squeeze box and trumpet :wub2: TOP MAN
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. al n

gunnera, good idea or not?

I'd vote for Gunnera. I had one by the pond in our last garden and although dramatic, it didn't dominate. Sadly we had to move in such a hurry that I left it behind. Luckily, I'd given a piece to...
    I'd vote for Gunnera. I had one by the pond in our last garden and although dramatic, it didn't dominate. Sadly we had to move in such a hurry that I left it behind. Luckily, I'd given a piece to a local Buddhist retreat centre. As it was planted next to the reed bed treatment pond it did grow...
    I'd vote for Gunnera. I had one by the pond in our last garden and although dramatic, it didn't dominate. Sadly we had to move in such a hurry that I left it behind. Luckily, I'd given a piece to a local Buddhist retreat centre. As it was...
    I'd vote for Gunnera. I had one by the pond in our last garden and although dramatic, it didn't dominate. Sadly we had to move in such a hurry that I left it behind. Luckily, I'd given a piece to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sal73

Tradescantia Pallida variegata

Is this the one Sal? Photo taken today of plant in the office, Jenny
    Billbergia nutans.jpg Tradascanthia 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. roders

I want to grow a Pineapple.

You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to slowly grow them. You can still see carved pineapples on the gate posts of older houses, a real...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to slowly grow them. You can still see carved...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jonny

Tetrapanax Rex help please!

Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Louise D

Suggestions and ideas please !

Dim - I've started a new thread here.................Apologies LouiseD.............
    Dim - I've started a new thread here.................Apologies LouiseD.............
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. gardenlearner

hardy tropical plants

Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying colocasia esculenta or elephant ears plant. They do love heat and moisture so I am going to plant...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying colocasia esculenta or elephant ears plant. They...
    Stink aside, they are wonderful plants! The leaves do need some support though.There are several different varieties or you could try arisaemas which also look quite weird! This year I am trying...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice