1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Black Orchid

Is anybody successfully growing Acacia Dealbata?

Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ARMANDII

CANNA - 2020

My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    20200208_111826.jpg 20200208_111817.jpg IMG_4457.jpg 20200409_125617.jpg 20200409_125708.jpg 20200409_125751.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Floyd

What on earth can I do with this large Yucca ?

Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Black Orchid
    Like x 8

The First Flower on My Angel's Trumpet!

Now I already have 2 blooming flowers on my Angel's Trumpet.
    IMG_20200816_011903.jpg IMG_20200816_010318.jpg IMG_20200818_014534.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. buddleia64

Another Tropical buy!

Big is not always beautiful,;) I like to pot plants on into progressively bigger pots until the final pot size, makes better use of the compost and avoids over watering and root rot that can happen...
    Big is not always beautiful,;) I like to pot plants on into progressively bigger pots until the final pot size, makes better use of the compost and avoids over watering and root rot that can happen with a small plant sitting in a large amount of wet compost.
    Big is not always beautiful,;) I like to pot plants on into progressively bigger pots until the final pot size, makes better use of the compost and avoids over watering and root rot that can happen with a small plant sitting in a large amount of...
    Big is not always beautiful,;) I like to pot plants on into progressively bigger pots until the final pot size, makes better use of the compost and avoids over watering and root rot that can happen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Black Orchid

Need help with Bougainvillea

Enjoy the flowers when the buds open.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. buddleia64

Is my Lemon Tree OK?

Thanks everyone. How much water are people giving - a) In this warm weather b) when it gets cooler and through winter? I water mine every few days and the compost looks very dry inbetween. It`s...
    Thanks everyone. How much water are people giving - a) In this warm weather b) when it gets cooler and through winter? I water mine every few days and the compost looks very dry inbetween. It`s never soaking wet even soon after heavy rain or the day after watering. I am thinking of when I have...
    Thanks everyone. How much water are people giving - a) In this warm weather b) when it gets cooler and through winter? I water mine every few days and the compost looks very dry inbetween. It`s never soaking wet even soon after heavy rain or the...
    Thanks everyone. How much water are people giving - a) In this warm weather b) when it gets cooler and through winter? I water mine every few days and the compost looks very dry inbetween. It`s...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Black Orchid

Need help with my Cannas

Thank you for your reply.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. roders

I want to grow a Pineapple.

You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to slowly grow them. You can still see carved pineapples on the gate posts of older houses, a real...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to slowly grow them. You can still see carved...
    You can get a Pineapple at Asda for £0.95 :biggrin: When they were first grown in Europe in the 1700's, it was virtually worth it's weight in gold. Special hothouses were built, called pinery's I think, to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Boug123

Bougainvillea not growing, and small leaves

Thank you to all of you. It doesn't sound like it's anything too serious at least. I had thought that it could still be adapting to the large ceramic pot, but there's not much I can do now.I...
    Thank you to all of you. It doesn't sound like it's anything too serious at least. I had thought that it could still be adapting to the large ceramic pot, but there's not much I can do now.I appreciate your advice and if it doesn't improve I may try cutting it much smaller as Pete suggests....
    Thank you to all of you. It doesn't sound like it's anything too serious at least. I had thought that it could still be adapting to the large ceramic pot, but there's not much I can do now.I appreciate your advice and if it doesn't improve I...
    Thank you to all of you. It doesn't sound like it's anything too serious at least. I had thought that it could still be adapting to the large ceramic pot, but there's not much I can do now.I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Greybelle

Help with figs

Looks like you will be getting some ripe figs this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. shrimp

How to grow phyllostachys nigra seeds

I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions off the internet and they don't know if the instructions works.This is what the instructions...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions off the internet and they don't know if the...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Greybelle

Organic citrus feed

Can anyone recommend organic summer and winter citrus feed?
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PhilC

germinating Fatsia Japonica seeds?

When I tried seed I had a fair few that had varegation ,but none of them survived
    When I tried seed I had a fair few that had varegation ,but none of them survived
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Steouk

Yucca Rostrata - Growth

Thank you :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PhilC

Chusan Palm seeds failed What's the best method to germinate?

If you delve into old reference books on a lot of the so called exotics you get some very strange statements.I can remember in the 70s trying to find a yucca at a garden centre.They only...
    If you delve into old reference books on a lot of the so called exotics you get some very strange statements.I can remember in the 70s trying to find a yucca at a garden centre.They only stocked stuff that the text books stated were totally hardy.Tracycarpus was not readily avilible along...
    If you delve into old reference books on a lot of the so called exotics you get some very strange statements.I can remember in the 70s trying to find a yucca at a garden centre.They only stocked stuff that the text books stated were totally...
    If you delve into old reference books on a lot of the so called exotics you get some very strange statements.I can remember in the 70s trying to find a yucca at a garden centre.They only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PhilC

Germinating Chusan palm seeds (fan palm)

I got your message Phil but for some unknown reason I can't reply to it. :scratch:I've noted your address and will send some off next week.
    I got your message Phil but for some unknown reason I can't reply to it. :scratch:I've noted your address and will send some off next week.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Victoria

Justicia / Jacobinia carnea Problem

Not a plant I know anything about, but it does appear to have died upwards if you get my meaning. Root rot perhaps?
    Not a plant I know anything about, but it does appear to have died upwards if you get my meaning. Root rot perhaps?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. noisette47

Time for a make-over

what about another Eucomis? Zambesiaca is white flowered and coconut scented apparently. I thought I had it, but it turned out to be a purple leaf form, and the other white one I have is not...
    what about another Eucomis? Zambesiaca is white flowered and coconut scented apparently. I thought I had it, but it turned out to be a purple leaf form, and the other white one I have is not coconutty. Gardenias are a good call.
    what about another Eucomis? Zambesiaca is white flowered and coconut scented apparently. I thought I had it, but it turned out to be a purple leaf form, and the other white one I have is not coconutty. Gardenias are a good call.
    what about another Eucomis? Zambesiaca is white flowered and coconut scented apparently. I thought I had it, but it turned out to be a purple leaf form, and the other white one I have is not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Borischelski

Orange tree - Rust leaf disease ?

Blimey, that link is the stuff of nightmares!:biggrin: I woudn't worry unduly, Just take off the affected leaves and make sure you feed the tree well. Citrus are greedy feeders. AFAIK there are no longer...
    Blimey, that link is the stuff of nightmares!:biggrin: I woudn't worry unduly, Just take off the affected leaves and make sure you feed the tree well. Citrus are greedy feeders. AFAIK there are no longer any effective fungicidal treatments available, although Bordeaux mixture is better than nothing,...
    Blimey, that link is the stuff of nightmares!:biggrin: I woudn't worry unduly, Just take off the affected leaves and make sure you feed the tree well. Citrus are greedy feeders. AFAIK there are no longer any effective fungicidal treatments available,...
    Blimey, that link is the stuff of nightmares!:biggrin: I woudn't worry unduly, Just take off the affected leaves and make sure you feed the tree well. Citrus are greedy feeders. AFAIK there are no longer...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice