1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Steven Collis

Cordyline possible pest advice

Personally I dont think it has much of a future in a pot, they are ok for a couple of years but get totally potbound go yellow and dont really thrive.
    Personally I dont think it has much of a future in a pot, they are ok for a couple of years but get totally potbound go yellow and dont really thrive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Victoria
    Like x 4

A Few Unusual Ones

I have bought from this Seller along with a couple of others from Spain and Portugal ...Tecoma Stans,plant | eBay
    I have bought from this Seller along with a couple of others from Spain and Portugal ...Tecoma Stans,plant | eBay
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul1981

Pennisetum Setaceum Fireworks Grass

@Kelly Wamsler If it's been such a short time I'd take it back and get a replacement or money back.
    @Kelly Wamsler If it's been such a short time I'd take it back and get a replacement or money back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. welshone

When to plant a Phoenix Canariensis in the ground

ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the...
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the houses in mid winter..
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the houses in mid winter..
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Victoria

Aeschynanthus radicans

Yes looking it up it says humid, and apparently an epiphyite, a member of the gesneriace, most of which like a bit of shade.I managed to kill a columnea last summer by giving too much sun.
    Yes looking it up it says humid, and apparently an epiphyite, a member of the gesneriace, most of which like a bit of shade.I managed to kill a columnea last summer by giving too much sun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 5

Carnivorous plants

I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them freeze overnight tonight to kill off the moss and allow me to re use the soil. Well there's...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them freeze overnight tonight to kill off the moss and...
    I think I have some seeds sprouted. Unfortunately I thought the whole lot was a waste of my time after months of nothing but moss and I put the trays with soil blocks (4 each) outside to let them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PhilC

Avocado pruning? a little scared to cut it.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but my Mother grew one from a stone when I was a kid, and it grew very tall without side branches and in the end she made it into a walking stick!
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but my Mother grew one from a stone when I was a kid, and it grew very tall without side branches and in the end she made it into a walking stick!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kon

baccharis genistelloides

All I know about it is that it is not hardy in this country. It may just survive a light frost if it is very sheltered but prefers temperatures no lower than 5C and preferably above 10C.
    All I know about it is that it is not hardy in this country. It may just survive a light frost if it is very sheltered but prefers temperatures no lower than 5C and preferably above 10C.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. strongylodon
    Like x 12

Tenerife flora

Lovely pictures Strongy - thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Purple Streaks

buying Seeds for tropical plants?

Another advantage of buying seeds from overseas companies is that it makes the range of seeds available absolutely huge. And they are pretty cheap to post.
    Another advantage of buying seeds from overseas companies is that it makes the range of seeds available absolutely huge. And they are pretty cheap to post.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2019

Exotic plants in the local area taken today.
    2019_01130002.JPG 2019_01130003.JPG 2019_01130004.JPG DSC_1657.JPG DSC_1658.JPG 2019_03090007.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. MAJ

Musella lasciocarpa and Cycas revoluta protection

Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. strongylodon
    Like x 11

Conservatory odds and ends.

Thanks, both They've defeated me up to now, whatever method I tried, but will have another go.
    Thanks, both They've defeated me up to now, whatever method I tried, but will have another go.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Black Orchid

Mimosa problems. Need urgent help.

Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I just could not forget Acacias. I already had one but not in buds. So I came again with the...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I just could not forget Acacias. I already had one...
    Pete, you are right. I didn't spot the problem on the tree when I was buying it. I noticed Acacias dealbata in buds a month ago when I went to that nursary specially to buy a climbing hidrangea. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. NigelJ
    Like x 4

German Grapefruit

I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. sal73

Mango and Papaya

Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Update on my mango plant(s) As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.
    Jaakko.JPG FCE6B969-CD5C-487C-BDBE-1A8CA6078456.jpeg 2EFBAF7A-F529-431A-ADCD-3623A3A4D097.jpeg DSC_0239.JPG 2F97406F-F46A-4202-AE08-B88FA2A2028D.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Andy Chapman

Banana Plant

Got a sneaking suspicion your banana is coming into flower.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. longk
    Like x 3

Puya

Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 6

CANNA 2019

Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    Canna time.
    IMG_20180817_085621067 (2).jpg DSCN1712.JPG 20190126_113423.jpg Screenshot_20190126-131407_Chrome.jpg 20190215_144606.jpg 20190215_121028.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 10

The flowers of Madeira.

i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    i visited grew just Cymbidiums for the cut flower market thousands and thousands of them incredible.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice