Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Fat Controller

Goodbye Lawn, Hello Pond!

Agapanthus "Jacaranda" & Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis'
    2019-03-28 21.52.42.jpg IMG_6055.JPG 2019-04-12 16.55.28.jpg 2019-04-12 16.55.38.jpg 2019-04-12 16.56.21.jpg 2019-04-12 16.56.23.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Redwing
    Like x 16

We're Making a Wildlife Pond

Good evening @Redwing absolutely stunning what a beautiful and serene location,thanks for sharing it with us
    Good evening @Redwing absolutely stunning what a beautiful and serene location,thanks for sharing it with us
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. SparklyPurple

Bog garden and pond advice please

Watermint has lilac flowers and releases a wonderful fragrance when brushed.I had a raised container pond a few years back and two goldfish. I did not get any mosquito larvae, so assume the...
    Watermint has lilac flowers and releases a wonderful fragrance when brushed.I had a raised container pond a few years back and two goldfish. I did not get any mosquito larvae, so assume the fish ate them. I did get them in the water butt though.
    Watermint has lilac flowers and releases a wonderful fragrance when brushed.I had a raised container pond a few years back and two goldfish. I did not get any mosquito larvae, so assume the fish ate them. I did get them in the water butt though.
    Watermint has lilac flowers and releases a wonderful fragrance when brushed.I had a raised container pond a few years back and two goldfish. I did not get any mosquito larvae, so assume the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 5

Siting a pond on a sloping garden

Some general shots of the pond, 15 months old... From slightly below the pond.Looking across the pond, with the wildlife meadow in the backgroundFor some reason, this waterlily has grown a...
    Some general shots of the pond, 15 months old... From slightly below the pond.Looking across the pond, with the wildlife meadow in the backgroundFor some reason, this waterlily has grown a bit of a stem above the water.There are three waterlillies in the pond, one large-leaved, two...
    Some general shots of the pond, 15 months old... From slightly below the pond.Looking across the pond, with the wildlife meadow in the backgroundFor some reason, this waterlily has grown a bit of a stem above the water.There are three...
    Some general shots of the pond, 15 months old... From slightly below the pond.Looking across the pond, with the wildlife meadow in the backgroundFor some reason, this waterlily has grown a...
    IMG_2037.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4719.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4725.JPG IMG_4721.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. mazambo
    Like x 6

Missing The Sound Of Moving Water

That sounds lovely. Our birds seem to like being in water up to their bums and then the splashing begins! Always fun to watch :)
    That sounds lovely. Our birds seem to like being in water up to their bums and then the splashing begins! Always fun to watch :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. luciusmaximus

Pond Advice

Not the best of pics, sorry, but you can see the brown spots. Water level has dropped, I need to top it up as predicted rain has not arrived :dunno:.
    Not the best of pics, sorry, but you can see the brown spots. Water level has dropped, I need to top it up as predicted rain has not arrived :dunno:.
    IMG_20190630_1701301_rewind.jpg IMG_20190717_1246355_rewind.jpg IMG_20190717_1246481_rewind.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DMM

Small Solar Pump Recommendations?

Dirty birdies!
    Dirty birdies!
    Dirty birdies!
    Dirty birdies!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. martin-f

Small pond project

I’ve never had a pond, but I used to keep marine fish.The one thing I always had on my set ups, which at the time not many others had. Was a ozoniser. It made the water crystal clear. Almost...
    I’ve never had a pond, but I used to keep marine fish.The one thing I always had on my set ups, which at the time not many others had. Was a ozoniser. It made the water crystal clear. Almost like it wasn’t there.Does anyone use ozone on their pond?
    I’ve never had a pond, but I used to keep marine fish.The one thing I always had on my set ups, which at the time not many others had. Was a ozoniser. It made the water crystal clear. Almost like it wasn’t there.Does anyone use ozone on...
    I’ve never had a pond, but I used to keep marine fish.The one thing I always had on my set ups, which at the time not many others had. Was a ozoniser. It made the water crystal clear. Almost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. K78

Solar powered water pump

I've always considered that half the pleasure of a waterfall is the sound of the water. Also the effect of light shining on it on a warm summer evening.I've never been a fan of solar powered...
    I've always considered that half the pleasure of a waterfall is the sound of the water. Also the effect of light shining on it on a warm summer evening.I've never been a fan of solar powered anything in the garden other than lights.Before we filled in our koi pool this was our waterfall. It...
    I've always considered that half the pleasure of a waterfall is the sound of the water. Also the effect of light shining on it on a warm summer evening.I've never been a fan of solar powered anything in the garden other than lights.Before we...
    I've always considered that half the pleasure of a waterfall is the sound of the water. Also the effect of light shining on it on a warm summer evening.I've never been a fan of solar powered...
    404D95BD-D05C-495A-9A43-C0CB0B09ECFF.jpeg P1060035.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Doghouse Riley
    Like x 7

Koi Pool Close Down

No not really.I had to be realistic. Replacing the liner would have been a lot of trouble and I didn't like the idea of having to put the fish in a 300 gallon quarantine tank, whilst I found...
    No not really.I had to be realistic. Replacing the liner would have been a lot of trouble and I didn't like the idea of having to put the fish in a 300 gallon quarantine tank, whilst I found someone to do the job. Or I did it myself. Koi were always just part of the ambiance of our garden....
    No not really.I had to be realistic. Replacing the liner would have been a lot of trouble and I didn't like the idea of having to put the fish in a 300 gallon quarantine tank, whilst I found someone to do the job. Or I did it myself. Koi were...
    No not really.I had to be realistic. Replacing the liner would have been a lot of trouble and I didn't like the idea of having to put the fish in a 300 gallon quarantine tank, whilst I found...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jurassic Gardener

Heron Proofing

World of Water sell net in three different gauges. So a mesh with holes around 1 cm in diameter is ideal. Believe me it works. Herons won't want to get their beaks trapped in it. "They'll have see...
    World of Water sell net in three different gauges. So a mesh with holes around 1 cm in diameter is ideal. Believe me it works. Herons won't want to get their beaks trapped in it. "They'll have see it before, as they get around." There'll be plenty of more accessible ponds for them.
    World of Water sell net in three different gauges. So a mesh with holes around 1 cm in diameter is ideal. Believe me it works. Herons won't want to get their beaks trapped in it. "They'll have see it before, as they get around." There'll be...
    World of Water sell net in three different gauges. So a mesh with holes around 1 cm in diameter is ideal. Believe me it works. Herons won't want to get their beaks trapped in it. "They'll have see...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jurassic Gardener

Fountain too strong?

Fish prefer the surface of shallow water or some part of it to be still. If it's even a bit choppy all over, then they aren't able to see possible preditors.
    Fish prefer the surface of shallow water or some part of it to be still. If it's even a bit choppy all over, then they aren't able to see possible preditors.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Brian L

How long can Goldfish travel in a polythene bag ?

Thanks all. We will be calling in on the way home, this Thursday. Cool box and towel is a good idea, hadn't thought of that ! Cheers for all the tips. Brian.
    Thanks all. We will be calling in on the way home, this Thursday. Cool box and towel is a good idea, hadn't thought of that ! Cheers for all the tips. Brian.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Clare G

Best oxygenating plants for a small garden pond?

Thank you very much @Redwing; I have just ordered some hornwort and milfoil, plus some marestail as that looks so intriguing. And I'll do as you suggest and put all the Canadian pondweed in the...
    Thank you very much @Redwing; I have just ordered some hornwort and milfoil, plus some marestail as that looks so intriguing. And I'll do as you suggest and put all the Canadian pondweed in the compost bin!
    Thank you very much @Redwing; I have just ordered some hornwort and milfoil, plus some marestail as that looks so intriguing. And I'll do as you suggest and put all the Canadian pondweed in the compost bin!
    Thank you very much @Redwing; I have just ordered some hornwort and milfoil, plus some marestail as that looks so intriguing. And I'll do as you suggest and put all the Canadian pondweed in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Spruce

Privet leaf are they poisonous

Tends to be evergreen here, only ever known privet drop its leaves once or twice here. I do know evergreens do drop leaves, but I'd be very surprised if you were getting enough to poison a pond.
    Tends to be evergreen here, only ever known privet drop its leaves once or twice here. I do know evergreens do drop leaves, but I'd be very surprised if you were getting enough to poison a pond.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. kindredspirit
    Like x 5

Goodbye lawn. Hello pond!

This thread needs to be closed due to database linking issues on the forum database, and the discussion carries on here - Goodbye Lawn, Hello Pond!.Apologies for the inconvenience.
    This thread needs to be closed due to database linking issues on the forum database, and the discussion carries on here - Goodbye Lawn, Hello Pond!.Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Spruce

New water feature but need ......A reliable flowering dwarf waterlily

Hi All, I have a new water feature trough, I have a waterlily but its far too large variety and was thinking any one could suggest a reliable dwarf water lily ?Spruce
    Hi All, I have a new water feature trough, I have a waterlily but its far too large variety and was thinking any one could suggest a reliable dwarf water lily ?Spruce
    DSCF1091.JPG DSCF1109.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. CraigET

Solar powered pond pumps anything fancy

Thanks guys, it’s getting better that’s for sure! Rain water definitely helps, it is in quite an exposed position and obviously the majority of plants are young and or cut back for winter. It’ll...
    Thanks guys, it’s getting better that’s for sure! Rain water definitely helps, it is in quite an exposed position and obviously the majority of plants are young and or cut back for winter. It’ll be a case of wait and see and put a lot more plants in for the surface of the water. It’s getting...
    Thanks guys, it’s getting better that’s for sure! Rain water definitely helps, it is in quite an exposed position and obviously the majority of plants are young and or cut back for winter. It’ll be a case of wait and see and put a lot more plants...
    Thanks guys, it’s getting better that’s for sure! Rain water definitely helps, it is in quite an exposed position and obviously the majority of plants are young and or cut back for winter. It’ll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Snorky85

Maintenance of iris surround pond

Well, it's obviously a mature pond with masses of what looks like Flag Iris around it. Irises foliage will die back some during the Winter, but some will remain. It won't do any harm to the Iris...
    Well, it's obviously a mature pond with masses of what looks like Flag Iris around it. Irises foliage will die back some during the Winter, but some will remain. It won't do any harm to the Iris to thin it out but unless you really want to tidy the pond up I wouldn't cut back the foliage...
    Well, it's obviously a mature pond with masses of what looks like Flag Iris around it. Irises foliage will die back some during the Winter, but some will remain. It won't do any harm to the Iris to thin it out but unless you really want to tidy...
    Well, it's obviously a mature pond with masses of what looks like Flag Iris around it. Irises foliage will die back some during the Winter, but some will remain. It won't do any harm to the Iris...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Mike Allen

Water Lilies.

I've been trying to get rid of water lilies for years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Clare G

Ideas to buck up my tired pond please

As far as surface cover goes, I have a Water Chestnut which has grown a lot of roots but little leaf growth and Water Soldier which has remained mainly submerged, the dwarf Water Lily has such...
    As far as surface cover goes, I have a Water Chestnut which has grown a lot of roots but little leaf growth and Water Soldier which has remained mainly submerged, the dwarf Water Lily has such small leaves as to not give much cover.:frown:
    As far as surface cover goes, I have a Water Chestnut which has grown a lot of roots but little leaf growth and Water Soldier which has remained mainly submerged, the dwarf Water Lily has such small leaves as to not give much cover.:frown:
    As far as surface cover goes, I have a Water Chestnut which has grown a lot of roots but little leaf growth and Water Soldier which has remained mainly submerged, the dwarf Water Lily has such...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Irmemac

Barrel Pond Advice

What are your plans for a pond/pool when it come time to upgrade....staying small or going large.
    What are your plans for a pond/pool when it come time to upgrade....staying small or going large.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Clare G
    Like x 4

How I made some aquatic plant bags

Brilliant! They look super. Will have a go at your idea if I add more plants to my barrel pond. You could go into business....
    Brilliant! They look super. Will have a go at your idea if I add more plants to my barrel pond. You could go into business....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice