Water Gardening

Discussion For All Water Related Features & Projects

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Mark901

Underground water storage

I am not sure it's worth digging a hole for 300 litres storage. There are different types of water storage tanks that are slimline. They tend to be marketed as flat tanks and under decking tanks....
    I am not sure it's worth digging a hole for 300 litres storage. There are different types of water storage tanks that are slimline. They tend to be marketed as flat tanks and under decking tanks. They cost more than traditional water butts, however they are made for underground storage where as...
    I am not sure it's worth digging a hole for 300 litres storage. There are different types of water storage tanks that are slimline. They tend to be marketed as flat tanks and under decking tanks. They cost more than traditional water butts,...
    I am not sure it's worth digging a hole for 300 litres storage. There are different types of water storage tanks that are slimline. They tend to be marketed as flat tanks and under decking tanks....
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BML

What sort of plants for a small Garden Pond?

Houttuynia is wonderful if contained as @noisette47 suggested but never let it get into a border - it also invades! The pond sounds big -12 yards long! How about rheum or rodgersia or even gunnera...
    Houttuynia is wonderful if contained as @noisette47 suggested but never let it get into a border - it also invades! The pond sounds big -12 yards long! How about rheum or rodgersia or even gunnera by the water's edge?
    Houttuynia is wonderful if contained as @noisette47 suggested but never let it get into a border - it also invades! The pond sounds big -12 yards long! How about rheum or rodgersia or even gunnera by the water's edge?
    Houttuynia is wonderful if contained as @noisette47 suggested but never let it get into a border - it also invades! The pond sounds big -12 yards long! How about rheum or rodgersia or even gunnera...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. NIKKI D

Papyrus - from seed to plant

Well lots of water and heat, but bear mind Autumn is just round the corner.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sian in Belgium

Using barley straw ….

If one were cynical, one might suspect that the barley had retained just enough glysophate to cause interruption in algae reproduction.Less likely with wheat and oats heading into the human food...
    If one were cynical, one might suspect that the barley had retained just enough glysophate to cause interruption in algae reproduction.Less likely with wheat and oats heading into the human food chain. Who knows for sure...
    If one were cynical, one might suspect that the barley had retained just enough glysophate to cause interruption in algae reproduction.Less likely with wheat and oats heading into the human food chain. Who knows for sure...
    If one were cynical, one might suspect that the barley had retained just enough glysophate to cause interruption in algae reproduction.Less likely with wheat and oats heading into the human food...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Clueless 1 v2

Cheap plastic pool / sand pit as a pond

All jokes aside, I saw that on Facebook the other day. It's awesome, as is the story behind it.
    All jokes aside, I saw that on Facebook the other day. It's awesome, as is the story behind it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. buddleia64

Asian Skunk Cabbage not thriving

@buddleia64 Humus rich soil means soil with a lot of organic matter in it; so a lot of leaf mould or home made compost.
    @buddleia64 Humus rich soil means soil with a lot of organic matter in it; so a lot of leaf mould or home made compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Gizmo

new pond ambition

Update to pond
    Update to pond
    Update to pond
    Update to pond
    IMG_20210222_113511_resized_20210222_120657581.jpg IMG_20210222_145850_resized_20210222_031137297.jpg 000470.jpg 000469.jpg IMG_20210226_132100_resized_20210226_013149471.jpg IMG_20210227_143356.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Clueless 1 v2

Legionella bacteria

I'm sure if it was a likely problem councils would be concreteing over every water feature that they can find. Had a pond and water butts for many years and I'm still alive, but only just.
    I'm sure if it was a likely problem councils would be concreteing over every water feature that they can find. Had a pond and water butts for many years and I'm still alive, but only just.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jocko

Diluting fertiliser to use in a pond.

The pond is 40cm x 27.7 cm. Taking it as a cylinder that is 22 litres so allowing for the slight taper I settled on 20 litres approx.
    The pond is 40cm x 27.7 cm. Taking it as a cylinder that is 22 litres so allowing for the slight taper I settled on 20 litres approx.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. gardenliberated

Line Pots or Not?

I think you can line it, it will contain the soil better, but if just planting in gravel then I don't think so. I would plant oxygenating plants in just gravel myself. I've always found that the...
    I think you can line it, it will contain the soil better, but if just planting in gravel then I don't think so. I would plant oxygenating plants in just gravel myself. I've always found that the planting crates with holes end up with very little soil in them any way after a season, it washes...
    I think you can line it, it will contain the soil better, but if just planting in gravel then I don't think so. I would plant oxygenating plants in just gravel myself. I've always found that the planting crates with holes end up with very...
    I think you can line it, it will contain the soil better, but if just planting in gravel then I don't think so. I would plant oxygenating plants in just gravel myself. I've always found that the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 5

Siting a pond on a sloping garden

This photo of a 5 week old pond popped up in my Facebook feed. So of course, I went out and took one for comparison.I think it is safe to say that the pond is established!! (Water level is v low...
    This photo of a 5 week old pond popped up in my Facebook feed. So of course, I went out and took one for comparison.I think it is safe to say that the pond is established!! (Water level is v low at the moment, but we have heavy rain forecast for the next 48 hours, so I will hold back on...
    This photo of a 5 week old pond popped up in my Facebook feed. So of course, I went out and took one for comparison.I think it is safe to say that the pond is established!! (Water level is v low at the moment, but we have heavy rain forecast...
    This photo of a 5 week old pond popped up in my Facebook feed. So of course, I went out and took one for comparison.I think it is safe to say that the pond is established!! (Water level is v low...
    IMG_2037.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4719.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4725.JPG IMG_4721.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gizmo

Soil for replanting pond plants

thanks for your advice i am putting in solar powered under water lights as well but woundering where abouts the panel for the sun should go , thanks
    thanks for your advice i am putting in solar powered under water lights as well but woundering where abouts the panel for the sun should go , thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Eden1

Pond is very silty after fish introduced.

When I had my pond I'd Hoover the bottom with an old wet & dry vacuum cleaner 2 or 3 times a year.
    When I had my pond I'd Hoover the bottom with an old wet & dry vacuum cleaner 2 or 3 times a year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hailbopp

Giant Marsh Marigold

Asking for a friend as I don’t have a pond, I do have a rather nice wee burn than runs infront if the property so a pond would be a bit of overkill to be honest. A neighbour has a stunning clump...
    Asking for a friend as I don’t have a pond, I do have a rather nice wee burn than runs infront if the property so a pond would be a bit of overkill to be honest. A neighbour has a stunning clump of Giant Marsh Marigold that bloomed it’s head off for weeks, just starting to stop now. It is in an...
    Asking for a friend as I don’t have a pond, I do have a rather nice wee burn than runs infront if the property so a pond would be a bit of overkill to be honest. A neighbour has a stunning clump of Giant Marsh Marigold that bloomed it’s head off...
    Asking for a friend as I don’t have a pond, I do have a rather nice wee burn than runs infront if the property so a pond would be a bit of overkill to be honest. A neighbour has a stunning clump...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gizmo

pond creature

You must have a better surgery than I have, can't even get through to speak to the receptionist, let alone a Doctor.
    You must have a better surgery than I have, can't even get through to speak to the receptionist, let alone a Doctor.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gizmo

leak

hi i am noticing a small leak at the back of the pond but unsure where its coming from only noticing the underlay and liner are a bit drippy in one spot at back of pond no pipes are leaking ..
    hi i am noticing a small leak at the back of the pond but unsure where its coming from only noticing the underlay and liner are a bit drippy in one spot at back of pond no pipes are leaking ..
    20220423_125022.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gizmo

pond lilly

Thanks for your advice
    Thanks for your advice
    Thanks for your advice
    Thanks for your advice
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gizmo
    Like x 6

baby fish in our first pond

baby fish
    baby fish
    baby fish
    baby fish
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sogni verdi

Pond advice

Thank you @WeeTam that is very helpful and confirmed to me what i had been thinking. Much appreciated.
    Thank you @WeeTam that is very helpful and confirmed to me what i had been thinking. Much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. clanless
    Like x 8

Feeding tadpoles - money saving tip

hmmm.... no signs of any frogs or toads in our pond this year ??We do see, via the cameras, loads of cats and a fox going into surrounding gardens....
    hmmm.... no signs of any frogs or toads in our pond this year ??We do see, via the cameras, loads of cats and a fox going into surrounding gardens....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice