£££ Price of bird food £££

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Spruce, Dec 17, 2011.

1. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    When we built our house 11 years ago all the plots of land had indigenous hedges planted as the bounderies as part of the planning permission, we've kept ours and the birds it attracts is amazing, after a certain length of time you can rip it out and do what you like, which a lot of other people have done and put fencing up instead,shame, know I'm more than happy with ours spiky hawthorn and blackthorn keeps any intruders out as well as being great for wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      When we moved into our house we made sure we put in shrubs and trees that the birds could feed on in winter like Pyracanthus,Cotoneaster,Rowan, Alamanchia etc.The Blackbirds strip off all the black Alamanchia berries in the summer and the Starlings do likewise with the orange Rown berries when the weather is hot {August time}to get the refreshing juice and goodness out of them so come the autumn and winter months there is none of those berries for the birds to feed on.:D

We find the Fieldfares and Redwings that visit the garden in the harsh winter months feed on the pyrancanths berries which the other birds{apart from the Blackbirds} leave so at least they get a feed up.

We buy sacks of Gardman No Mess seed mix {12.75kg}from our local garden centre.We refuse to buy it when the sacks are £22 odd each so wait until the price has been reduced to club card members then buy a couple of sacks at a time:DWe just buy the small bags of nuts as have found we don't use that many peanuts over the winter {well not a sack full}as the starlings prefere the fat balls and seed mix to the nuts:D

I put out the seed mix and nuts all year round but find that by August the birds have gone back to the woods to moult out so we don't get that many birds feeding in the garden until round about October time when they start to come back:D

I think I read somewhere that because of drought conditions in the countries where the peanuts are grown the harvests haven't been that brilliant hence the price of them going through the roof.:mad:

Also we drove over to the RSPB reserve at Sandy a couple of months ago and took quiet a few photos of the squirrels managing to get the peanuts out of the squirrel proof bird feeders that you could pay and arm and a leg for from their shop:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
      • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
        Ratings:
        +502
        I'm sure i'm not alone here when i say it's good to hear that others are as serious as i am about the wild birds - we're all birds of a feather :)

• Like Like x 3
        • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
          Ratings:
          +641
          1 quick question how do you stop pigeons and magpies taking everything

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,925
          :) The fact is that we have taken away a lot of the birds natural habitat,this is why the RSPB ask that we feed them.

The garden centres have jumped on the band wagon and offer every possible mod con for the wild birds no doubt a multi million pound business.If you look around though you can find value.

But for me though you just can't put a price on the joy of watching all manner of wild birds visiting and "frolicking"in my garden.
          Just been out there and topped everything up and it's flippin cold, the birds need all the energy giving food they can get.

Ironical though,I was recently buying in our local garden centre,I spent about £20 on bird stuff and I said to the sales girl"there are millions of people starving in the world and here is me spending all this on wild birds............FOOD FOR THOUGHT.:)

• Like Like x 3
          • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
            Ratings:
            +502
            By hanging the seed feeders in the branches of trees and shrubs where it's too small an area for them to get into.

Here they go onto the ground to eat the dropped bits, and although they've tried to get near the feeders they're just too big to get near them and after much unsuccessful flapping they go to the restaurant downstairs !

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
            Ratings:
            +502

We've all got our 'softspots', Roders - this is ours :thumbsup:

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,485
            And most farmers were PAYED to rip out hedges back in the 80's
            And farmers are also cutting hedges early

• Like Like x 2
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,834
              As I said earlier I've changed the type of seed mixture to save wastage. I found the premium Wild Bird food contained a lot of bran, cereals, sunflower seeds, and other finer seeds and the birds were just tossing the first three out of the feeders to get to the seeds. I had to resort to putting metal bread trays under the feeders as the amount of rejected material was affecting the borders underneath. So for some reasons the birds here in my garden don't touch the Sunflower seeds or cereals. I have tried putting the rejected stuff on the bird tables and in dishes around the garden but it just gets left.:scratch:

I have the same problem with Peanuts, in that the birds will rarely feed off them. I've tried crushing them to make it easier for the birds while leaving another feeder with whole Peanuts along side..........same result.:WINK1::dunno:

Fat balls in a cage seem to be the popular attraction for the birds now and all types are there taking a beak full.:D

I actually sat out in the Arbor today, wrapped up warmly with a mug of tea:coffee:, and there wasn't a bird to be seen, but I know that just before dusk they'll be back.:D:yess:

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
              Ratings:
              +502
              A fellow bird lover saw fieldfares in her devon garden today so they'll be here any day too :thumbsup:
              They usually flock with redwings so it'll be great to see them all back again :D

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
              +12,318

Yes I have them arrived Thursday Fieldfares , been out got a sack peanuts and a sack of mixed seed and have now filled all bird feeders , so they will all be sorted for the next couple of months I even treated my robin so some mealworms .

Spruce

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
              Ratings:
              +502
              Hmm, if you have them over there and she has them down there then where are mine !!!
              Give them back !
              Give !

• Like Like x 2
              • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                We have had Redwings and Fieldfares up in our part of the country {Midlands} since October time but won't get them visiting the garden until the really heavy snowfalls come and at the moment they are content in feeding on the red berries of the Hawthorn bushes when we see them round our village and when we are out and about:)

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
                Ratings:
                +502
                I've discovered that the blackcaps like sultanas so i'm going to start ordering, and feeding, those with the ground feeders food now !

Kennedy (as previously mentioned) stock raisins so i'll get them - they'll have to come with the next order of sunflower hearts though (in a month or so :( ) because i don't want to start with an 11k box :WINK1:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                Ratings:
                +7,278
                I only have blackbirds, thrushes, blue tits, dunnocks, and sparrows, a couple of wood pidgeon, and two ravens
                I feed both on the ground, on a table and hanging feeders
                Previous years the seed, peanuts and fat balls were gone in days

This year I splashed out and paid twice the price for RSPB Fat balls out of the fifty bought in October I still have 45 left ? ditched three as they had grown moss :-)
                The seed is more or less untouched in three feeders, same birds that last year ate the lot in a couple of days

I may be wrong ? but I feed bread, fried bread, pork and bacon fat, it is gone in minutes (always done this so it is not they eat that instead of the grain)

Jack McHammocklashing