1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

£££ Price of bird food £££

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Spruce, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Same sort of ingredients we use to make fir cone bird feeders (but with seeds, crushed peanuts, etc., and people complain the birds like them too much and they get eaten much, much quicker than shop bought fat balls.

• Like Like x 1
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      As a general rule, I find that the birds which visit my garden much prefer junk food to healthy snacks. Peanuts are gone in a very short time, whereas expensive sunflower hearts etc sit around for ages. The old lady up the road puts out the remains of her sliced white loaf every week - gone in minutes. This is a working class street and its feathered residents aren't interested in any of that airy-fairy muck, thanks very much. Recently, however, we have had a few aristocratic visitors: goldfinches. They will only eat expensive niger seed; every now and then they give the little cockney sparrows which squabble around the peanuts a rather snooty look. I've noticed that the sparrows are beginning to go upmarket. They still don't really like the niger seed, but at the same time they have their pride. They don't see why a few hoity-toity goldfinches should scoff the lot.

• Like Like x 4
      • WilliamF

WilliamF Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        One of our neighbours scatters what looks like a form of corn outside the front of our house every week, but they never eat it. I just end up sweeping it every blumin week. The only thing I've ever seen eating it is pigeons and even they don't seem too fussed. If someone drops a kebab however the local birds are all over it - what's that about!? :D

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Just having a bit of Spice in their life, I guess:heehee::heehee::D

• Like Like x 1