1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A refugee from Gardener's World.....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by LauraRoslin, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I’ve reported spam a couple of times.

Also a member who posted a very weird post with pictures of bugs in the fridge; anyone remember that? It had a link to a photo hosting site with naked ladies so I reported that. The mods removed the link and reprimanded the OP and we never heard from him again. A spammer or a very embarrassed member? I never did find out.

Also I reported a racist post made by a member. In all these cases action was taken by the mods.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,956
      No, but there was the one thread that was posted twice with the school teacher that wouldn't let the children go for a pee when in class

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        I remember that too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Naah, it's not written down in our rules, Jiffy.:dunno::snorky: Ex-members of Gardeners World are able to discuss quite freely another site and so is GC Admin, although the latter very rarely do and probably only because a member(s) have mentioned it.:heehee:
          While I realise that ex-members of another forum who have had a bad experience will want to console each other about that I was thinking it might be wise to leave the Gardeners World "baggage" behind, wipe the dust off their feet, and start afresh and enjoy the banter, good advice and friendship that is freely given on GC:love30::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 5
          • Like Like x 4
            Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, I agree with the Teacher, they should go to the School Toilet and not pee in the Classroom:dunno::heehee:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
            • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              That thread was posted all over the internet. Caused a huge row on Digital Spy

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                But not here on GC. Laura:dunno::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,622
                  Are you an ex-DS member? I used to frequent there many years ago; still got an account with DS, but never use it

• Like Like x 1
                  • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
                    +428
                    Yeah, I am definitely ex-DS! Over there people row at the drop of a hat. In fact if you dropped a hat someone would criticise you for not dropping it properly. :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      We deal with such things, Laura, by asking the "Boys" to pop around to the person with the "problem" and "explain" things to them.:dunno:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,622
                        Part of the reason that I stopped using the forums - it became tedious. Shame, as it used to be an excellent forum for electronics and broadcasting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
                          +428
                          It is a shame because there's still some really helpful people on there. One guy called Seacam is a boiler engineer and he helps a lot of people with problem boilers. He spends quite a lot of time translating engineer speak!

• Like Like x 1
                          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,622
                            Yes, I know him well (in an online sense) - he had a really bad accident about ten years or so ago - can't quite remember the circumstances, but it was something to do with boiler in a bad location (staircase maybe?) and he ended falling or it fell on him or something..... genuinely lovely guy

• Like Like x 1
                            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                              Ratings:
                              +6,097
                              I think we need to remember. Some people may have a difficulty explaining what they mean. One reader perhaps has identified this problem in the past, but however still enjoys the contributions of that individual Then another peron perhaps reads all posts, with the index finger poised over the report button. IMHO once a report has been made. Leave it. Let the mods decide. Otherwise a tiny spot on a white sheet becomes an almighty blotch.

Racism etc. I submitted a reply on another forum. The editor/moderater claimed I was a racist. I explained that my son-in-law is black. Great guy. I belong to an organization where many members are black and or from other nationalality's. In all honesty. I don't see anything other than another human being. A lady friend of my late wife & I, she is black, Jamaican born in Kennington. London. Val said to me one day. Be careful Mick, Yvonne fancies you. When Val died. Yvonne pestered my daughter asking. How's your dad. Amanda got fed up with this and suggested she contact me. We went for a meal and that was that. I still love Val, even though she is no longer here.

Back to my forum post. I simply quoted my experiences with black people when I was a police officer. They just flipped. Mostly they are a happy go lucky body of souls but they are easily excited. Even more sadly. Time and again we read in the news. Black man dies in police custody. Here I tend to consider the medical facts. This sudden ultra excitement may cause rapid heart problems etc. So sorry if I have bored you but. I am just trying to explain.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +100,836

I understand that, Mike. But I think the subject has been mulled over to the point where everyone has agreed that GW was a bad experience for them and all that is happening is repetition.:wallbanging::dunno::snorky:. There has to be a point where "refugees" are no longer that, and that was when they joined GC, and there has to be a time when they look forward and not backwards, which is why I believe continuing to "gnaw on the bone" serves no purpose.

Not that simple unfortunately, as some people do not think like that and will continue in the same vein. The Rules and Protocols are there for every one to read and understand. As I have pointed out GC Admin rarely step in or become "visible" as we rely on the good nature of members to keep things on a reasonable, friendly, level and our faith in that has been repaid.:love30: No one member of Admin makes "executive" decisions on their own, all such decisions, as FC has pointed out, are held in a consensus of all members of Admin, and it need at minimum of 3 members agreeing to pass a decision. Should any member of Admin be unfortunate enough to be involved, directly or indirectly, then they automatically step back and become neutral.

We are not a PC forum, Mike, but we do strictly adhere to the rules and protocols and Racism is one of those areas where it is applied. If the Moderator was of that opinion then you have to take note of that and use discretion whether or not you believe your opinion was valid and correct. I have often offered the advice that, in any thread, if you think your post could cause offence, think about it, then think about it again, and then don't post it.:coffee: All posts are subject to the law of "Cause and Effect" and you have to respect other members beliefs and opinions and not let your own override that when you post on what might be a controversial subject.

There's no need to reply, Mike, or we'll both be listening to the other members snoring.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                                • Agree Agree x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.