1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

abandoned baby blackbird!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by RandyRos, Aug 8, 2009.

1. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    my mum in law (2 doors away) noticed a nestling blackbird on the ground yesterday tea time. it chirped all night long, no adults were heard. she watched it from 7am this morning, no parents visited it at all. indeed, all of blackbirds we usually see have disappeared! :skp:

she got me round about 11am and i fed it a couple of caterpillars off my cabbages and gave it a few drops of water, which it took. i looked into the nearest hedge but coudlnt see a nest. again, there were no adults about, which was just plain weird!

i phoned the rspca after bringing it in from the sun. they told me to take it to a local vet for a check up, which i did. its not injured, the vet fed it some special stuff with electrolytes in it. shesaid take it to eastwinch rspca wildlife centre. butt hats over 50 miles away!

i'm online trying to find out which other place i could take it which is nearer. theres one at Bungay only a few miles from me, but theyre not answering their phone (how rude) the others are 20+ miles.

i better go and feed it some more caterpillars now. anyone got any suggestions please?

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,621
    See if there is a bird rescue place anywhere around. Its good it can eat the caterpillars your giving it.
    A shoe box with a lid (opening cut in lid) is a nice place for it. A little cloth on bottom.
    I have a friend that is involved with bird rescue stuff, took one last year to her that one of the cats had caught but not hurt, they treated it with antibiotics and released it in a week---good to go.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Carry on feeding it Ros but vary its diet a bit you can give it earth worms ,mealworms,beetles etc you can actually by soft bill food from the pet shop which is insects grains and things in an easy handled form,always make sure it has plenty of fresh water available,within the next week or so it will start to pick at things itself but will be dependent on you for a while yet,the danger is from your moggies you will need to keep a close eye on them.

4. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    thanks :) i'm aware of the danger from my cats. i managed to get hold of the people at that nearby place about teatime and took it to be cared for there.

i had put it in a hamster (rotastak) carry case and was feeding it through the lid in the top with caterpillars and some maggots i bought.

thought you may enjoy these vids

[​IMG]

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/bipolarbabepix/?action=view&current=feedingblacky.flv

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/bipolarbabepix/?action=view&current=hungry.flv

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Awww look at that, Hungry little bird, isn't he :) how often were you feeding him?

6. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    about every half hour, usually more often. he took about 4-5 maggots, then didnt want any more for a bit. i guess thats how he was getting fed by his parents.

oh, my MIL found a female blackbird close by who was dead, we're guessing it was his mum :(

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,621
    Ahh, so sweet. doing a great job.

8. littleorme

littleorme Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Awww...what a super picture...so sad about his mum..will the sanctuary be giving you an update?...

9. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    they should phone me back in a couple of days

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well done Ros you have done a great job.:thumb: