1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

about the Palmetum of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by miraflores, Oct 3, 2007.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Palmetum is the largest green space in the centre of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, capital city of the Western Canary Islands.
    The total surface is divided into geographical sections, in order to represent the palm flora of the different areas of the globe.
    The construction started in 1996.
    The palms specimen were purchased in local nurseries and some others were imported from Cuba, Florida, South Africa and Argentina and quarantined.
    Palms had really hard times during the first years. They had to recover from transplant shock on the top of the desert hill: setbacks seemed eternal.
    The palmetum is located on the highest point of the coastline, visitors can admire the best views to the ocean, to the city and the whole island.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    mira, when you say in the centre of Santa Cruz do you mean the public gardens or outside. We went there two years ago on the bus from Puerto DL Cruz and the gardens were completely closed of by metal fencing all round, you couldn't even see what was going on inside. This looks a fantastic place although as the Canaries are just outside the tropics I guess some plants will struggle there, as it obviously isn't as protected as the Botanical (walled) gardens.

3. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    with my pleasure I can give you some more information, courtesy of Carlo Morici:

The palmetum is fenced and the gate is often closed.
    It is an "unfinished project" that has never been opened to the public (yet).
    It is a flat-topped hill so you can't see the gardens from below.

The Palmetum is located in the Southern Coast, so it is much warmer and sunnier than the Botanical Gardens of La Orotava located in the Northern Coast, by Puerto de La Cruz.
    The palmetum has no walls but the flat top is embraced by a crown of wind-screening trees.
    The temperature is ideal and many palm species grow to perfection, as long as water, soil and pests are controlled.
    It never gets too cold, even cacao fruited easily.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    I obviously mis -read you post as I thought you meant the capital, Santa Cruz, up in the north east. It will be a place worth seeing, although I have never wanted to visit the souhern part of Tenerife, I prefer the greener quieter nothern part. [​IMG]

5. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
  6. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    updating...

[ 09. October 2007, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: miraflores ]

7. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
  8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    Thanks for that Miraflores, that clarifies the position, it is just outside the city on an old landfill site and not in the centre where the public gardens are as I thought. I would like to visit it one day (when I can fit it in). [​IMG]

9. miraflores

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi strongyldon. The palmetum is still closed to the public, so officially it would not be possible to visit it. But if are really interested since you are in the gardening business I understand, maybe we can persuade those in charge to make a little exception...
    I also would love to visit it!
    Well, so far, let's enjoy the pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great shots Mira, it's going to be great.