1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alert! Alabama Rot : affects canines.

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by "M", Feb 25, 2016.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Just a heads up if you take your beloved canine for woodland walks: although rare, two cases have recently been reported in the Chatham area. (Might be worth a look @wiseowl ) but is known in other areas too (do the postcode check in the second link below).

The news report is HERE.
    A guide on what to look for are HERE

Might also be worth checking your pet insurance is up to date and examining its terms and conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,886
      Good evening @"M" your heads up is very kind and friendly of you and appreciated :wub2:,I have known about this terrible disease for about a year now and although the vet in the report resides in Chatham the two cases that have been identified are somewhere in Kent I am trying to find out exactly where ,but I am diligent and very careful as I can be and do keep Penny and Tiny strictly to the main footpaths,and on our return I check their paws for grass seeds etc, once again thank you for thinking of Penny and Tiny and Woo:ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        At the moment, Kent does not present as a high risk area (only two cases reported, so far, both in the Medway area).
        My gut instinct tells me that, because it is such a fast reacting disease, with the ultimate (and devastating) consequence, the likelihood is that the warnings are far more about *reporting* any instances, than *preventing* any instances. Naturally, it is wise to be aware of the where/how many/keeping track of this very unpleasant disease.

Doesn't harm to check your pet insurance terms/conditions either because the very last thing we need to have thrown at us (as dog owners) is some sort of caveat that the insurance companies could, potentially, throw at us if (and only if) this particular scenario plays out.

Glad you are vigilant, because I could be accused of complacency :redface: but not from now on :blue thumb:
        I think Spruce mentioned it last year, but, while taking it on board, it fell to the back of my mind simply because it wasn't around *here*.

• Like Like x 2