1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aloha from HOT west wales!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SeaChief, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    :sign0016:

• Like Like x 1
    • SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
      +21
      More thanks.. can s'one give their opinion: is my other thread too long, too much info, or confusing? Im not getting much response.

So frustrating here: Ive a couple of horticultural expert n'bors.. but they're rude, scathing about my efforts, with an awful superior attitude (who clearly want me to fail.) My ma/pa won't help, no-one here I know, other n'bors reluctant to have a chat/ a 'get on with it/ learn yrself' attitude.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello @Verdun is there any way you can help @SeaChief on his discussion, as he's quoted the above plus your gardens a beautiful landscape...I think he's trying hard to move it on but doesn't have the help and advice he needs :)

More thanks.. can s'one give their opinion: is my other thread too long, too much info, or confusing? Im not getting much response.

So frustrating here: Ive a couple of horticultural expert n'bors.. but they're rude, scathing about my efforts, with an awful superior attitude (who clearly want me to fail.) My ma/pa won't help, no-one here I know, other n'bors reluctant to have a chat/ a 'get on with it/ learn yrself' attitude.

Novice/ need help w'1st hse gdn.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Hiya SeaChief. Nice to have you on board :)

What would you like to have in your garden? A veg patch, some fruit, a pond, a greenhouse, a lawn or simply a colourful garden to relax in?

Getting some control is prob the most important thing.....cut overgrown stuff back, maybe try to establish some sort of lawn or grass area and work from that.

Its a shame you have nobody to help you......have you visited any local allotments for ideas? I find such people want to talk about their plantings and ideas. And your neighbours? You may be surprised........if you see something you like in their gardens then tell them; they will love it. Say you would love to have a garden like theirs. You will prob be given plants, etc., and advice once they realise you are seriously into getting a nice garden

Dont be in a rush to get everything done in a mad moment. Gardening, like most everything else, is a slow learning curve. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
          +21
          Hiya Verdun,

can you see the little link to my 1st thread in my prior post? (thx whoever did this).

Ive got pics up, 3 sections... but only 1 in mind for now (simply the fwd border/ bank area).

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
          • SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Btw, can I ask about problem neighbours (re. a huge problem Syc tree) on here s'where?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,600
              Welcome to Gardeners Corner SeaChief. :) You've got your work cut out with your new garden but don't panic, we're here to help you. The link below is probably the best place to ask for help with the Sycamore. You can start your thread about halfway down the page after the 'pinned' threads.

https://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forums/general-gardening-discussion.100/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Verdun a good way of getting to know your neighbours and putting this forward is an excellent suggestion [​IMG]

• SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
                +21
                Hi Verdun,

to answer your good Q's: no allotments, but the best garden Ive ever seen is my n'bors.. which is ridiculous as I overlook it/ I get best view of it!! Ah. But. As we're joined so closely (a stream separates us) & as they've been here creating this paradise gdn for 25yrs.. they're awfully reticent about giving me ideas, rude when I ask normal things 'ok if I cut back X'? [6m over gdn.. I politely ask to trim 2m] I mean FOUL/ NASTY to me re. this, as well as scathing about my efferts so far (& personal comms- urgh). Locals seem to avoid me/ seem reluctant to help, probably A) bc Im an unknown single guy B) I got place dirt cheap/ envy C) Im the newboy viewed w'suspicion still.. & D) Im another 'english pig', tho as much reticence I find is from the english as the welsh.

Ok so you see this is why Ive turned to folks online, who have no ABCD against me.

As you suggest -I HAVE- made a good start. As said: 3 sections, Im leaving 2 for now, so its just the front 1/3rd to do where Ive created a 'new' lawn/ resurrected it, put in new side oak sleepers in, & which has a large bank border area. THIS is all I want help on, for now. This planting bank/ border area. Simple as.

I don't even know what a shrub is. That's why no point me just 'winging it'.. tho I have oplanted a few small things which look lost.. like me then!

• Informative Informative x 1
                • SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
                  +21

Hi Sheal,

thank you. Do you mean where the 'normal threads' are?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Hello @SeaChief what Sheal means is you'd be better off reposting your thread in this section link to where you have put it and sorry to hear your on ground where your no welcome...besides the area nobody knows how neighbours will turn out mate and sorry it's gone against you :dunno:

https://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forums/general-gardening-discussion.100/

• SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
                    +21
                    "you'd be better off reposting your thread in this section link to where you have put it"

Gail, sorry I cannot understand this part of your sentence.

Im not getting anywhere on here, if I cant get help with ideas for simply a border/ bed, with pics for eg's I'm not doing something right or its not the right place. Its the most basic Q for a thread on a gardening forum I can think of (bar 'how do I plant something').

can anyone make a suggestion as to how I get some help? is my thread in the wrong section? is it too detailed? maybe a different forum?

thanks SC

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hello SC, some sections aren't viewed so much as others that's why Sheal suggested you adding it to the link she gave besides what I sent identical.

Just copy and paste what you've written and add it in the link above :)

• SeaChief

SeaChief Gardener

Ratings:
                      +21
                      Gail- sorry still your new sentence is not making sense "that's why Sheal suggested you adding it to the link she gave besides what I sent identical." this is confusing as is the 'conversation' thing I inadvertantly go onto- sheesh man these systems need updating/ streamlining for 2018.

Ok, are you/ have I put the thread (my main thread) in the wrong section? are you suggesting I redo it in "general gardening" section?