Alternative to SAE?

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by Kristen, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I resent asking someone to pay the postage to send me the postage to send something back - that just doubles the cost ...

Is there some means of sending an electronic stamp to the sender, so they can just print it and stick it on the parcel?

I suppose the other route is paypal, but I presume there is some commission built into that (might wind up cheaper than two lots of stamps though)

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19100175&mediaId=95100756

states you can buy postage online and print direct to envelopes, if you can print at home then I guess you could emai that to someone so they can print it too. When you send the item to print you can choose print to file instead of sending to the printer, this file could be emailed to whoever. If the postage is £2.99 or less you must have a prepaid account though.

Steve...:)

3. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

thats a good suggestion kristen

we have sold a few things online in the past, and I know royal mail offer a service to print out a postage label (on paper and just stick onto envelope!)

They charge the standard cost of a 1st class stamp, but I cannot be sure about whether you can send this copy to another computer... I guess you could print it, then scan it, and finally send the scanned copy to whoever is sending the seeds? Im sure there would be an easier way, but thats all I can think of, off hand.

In case anyone is unaware though, royal mail have really tightened up against envelopes which fall into the small or large letter category... so be aware of the size of the envelope before you purchase your postage label.

The only other drawback I can think of is that there is a minumum deposit (5GBP) I think. But you can obviously use this for your other mail needs, including sending larger items, if you know what your doing.

- Luke -

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Well I'll be blowed ... I had looked on the GPO website and the only thing I found was a service that required paying £5 a month to use ...

From your link the Sample Print gave me a PDF file, but even if the "real thing" wants to print direct to my printer I have "Print to PDF" devices, so I could easily generate a PDF and email to the sender ...

And it has the facility to remember the address etc for next time, so that would make it easy to reuse.

Just have to choose a convenient format that will be easy to stick to an envelop.

Thanks for that.