1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

AN OBSERVATORY FOR THE GARDEN

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by ARMANDII, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,541
    Have you got a swear box in there as well then? :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Not yet, but I do have a First Aid Kit!!:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,541
        The plasters might be useful then. :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Are the inside walls crumbling already? :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 2
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,541
            I don't think so "M". I was thinking more along the lines of the absent swear box. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Well, either way, I do get to see Stars when in the Observatory!!:rolleyespink::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,541
                Three months on since the last post here Armandii. :) How's the star gazing going?

• Like Like x 2
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,046
                  Has he locked himself in?

:sad::smile:

• Funny Funny x 6
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    My fault entirely, Sheal, for the lack of posting I've been busy jumping from one thing to another:wallbanging:

I've done that before, John, .......but not in an Observatory.:doh::heehee:

So, I've been in the Observatory whenever there's been a chance between the many cloudy nights. For the last two weeks the evening/early morning skies have had the Moon in it's waxing phase, Jupiter and it's Moons in all it's glory, and then over time Mars and Saturn with it's rings. Mars and Saturn are very low on the horizon at between 10 and 15 degrees and have only been at above tree height at after 1am. But over the weeks they have been very slowly gaining a little height a little earlier every night. But being at such a low observing height it's means I'm looking through more atmosphere than I would be if viewing them higher. So while I've had plenty of good views I've not had a really crisp image....but since Saturn is around 746 million miles and Mars is 249 million miles away I can't complain.

• Like Like x 5
                      Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,541
                      So are you getting into the swing of things with the telescope and computer now?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Sorry for the delay, Sheal, in replying. Yes, I'm slowly getting there, but what with the persistent cloudy weather and being extremely busy with all things I've not quite managed to my tripod aligned exactly with the Polaris Star so that the computer in the tripod mount can track a Star accurately for as long as I want. The trouble is that I have never seen the Polaris Star enough to be able to align with it.:dunno::wallbanging: There is a solution called Drift Alignment which I, having the Telescope permanently in one position would only have to do once but could take half an hour to an hour to get right. If I was lugging the tripod and telescope on to the patio every night, having to set up them again, then I would have to do the drift alignment every time to get proper tracking. But other things astronomical have had a higher priority!!
                        Also due to the mechanical construction of the tracking [cogs etc] there is always an error that will interfere with the accuracy. There is a program inside the tracking called Periodic Error Correction where the computer can calculate over time the errors but you have to spend 10 to 15 minutes with one star and keep correcting it when it drifts away from the center of view. The computer then can calculate the error and amend it
                        Another way to ensure accurate tracking is to use another camera, called an Auto-guider, attached to the scope which fixes onto a star and then "talks" to the computer in the tripod mount to keep the scope on target...........more money!!!
                        For the last couple of nights I had clear skies so I've been able to view, at around 1130pm onwards Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the Moon all in the same skies at the same time. As I said previously unfortunately both Mar and Saturn are low in the skies so viewing them means looking through a lot more atmosphere than is ideal because our always turbulent skies distort the views. But I'll take what I can get and will stay up to around 2 to 3 am to enjoy the viewing.
                        I'm looking at a new toy which is a camera that connects to the computer mount while attached to the Scope and is also connected to a computer and will give you real time live viewing on the screen. It's electronically assisted astronomy [EAA] and has the advantage of [a] the camera seeing far more than the human eye due to being more sensitive, being able to automatically take a series of images while live viewing and put them altogether to give a still image of really good, sharp, images. My cynical mind though is telling me that all this technology to "make things more simple and easier" ends up making things more complicated.:dunno::snorky:

• Informative Informative x 3
                          Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          The outside cosmetic finishing touch to the Observatory......getting the name on it!!!.:heehee:
                          [​IMG]
                          [​IMG]
                          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
                          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                            Ratings:
                            +31,852
                            Did you crack the Chamagne as well

• trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
                            +279
                            I have read so many times how difficult astro photography is, the learning curve is immense. And as you are finding out very expensive. Read as no doubt you have of someone who spend £20,000 buying the best of everything and admitted he did not have a clue.
                            I am sure you will get there in the end and look back and say it was worth all the effort.

I was a plonker the other night as I could not get my goto to align.Tried several times then gave up and tried out my new ES 24 68° eyepiece. it was not until I packed up I realised that the 1st alignment star,Polaris was ok but the 2nd I chose was Dubne only to realize I had aligned on Merak no wonder alignment failed!!!
                            I have now got a 40mm +13mm plossi that came with scope.ES 24mm and a X-Cel LX 9mm that alos came with scope. FLO recommends replacing the 13mm plossi with a decent 12mm so I will do that. Not decided if I need an eyepiece between the 24 & 12 like a 17mm.
                            I think if I get the 12 and maybe the 17mm that will do me until I get more experienced and decide I need something else!! maybe some Orthos or some Naglers, Pentax ,this that and some of the other:):) It never ends,ah I forgot need a heated dew heater & controller maybe a better dew shield and of course replace the rotten default red dot finder,must be something else I need or think I need:):) maybe a barlow or powermate or even both, 2x + 3x:snork::snork:

• Like Like x 1
                            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Hi trogre, well, at the moment with regard to astro imaging, the skies have been so consistently cloudy throughout this year that I've not really been given the chance to do any serious attempts. I have the QHY8L one shot colour camera and the software program " Nebulosity", the latter being a great help to make things easier.......once you understand the program:dunno::heehee: Also I've been struggling to get the Drift Alignment just right and, again, the weather's just not been co-operative in being able to get a sighting of a bright Star on the West Horizon in the evenings:wallbanging: So at the moment I've had to content myself with doing dummy runs and practising using the whole system even though the skies have been full of cloud.:coffee: So really all I need is a period of clearer skies and then I'll have a shot at it.

To be honest, trogre, I personally wouldn't use Polaris for anything else than aligning the mount to stop target tracking drift, but as I rarely see Polaris I have settled, as you know, for accurate drift alignment which, on a permanently sited mount, you only have to do once and never again. Polaris is very close to the NCP and not very bright so I use use Stars near the Meridian and, if I can, close to the Celestial Equator when doing a 2 or 3 Star alignment. I find the NEQ6 is more than accurate with a 2 Star alignment and still accurate a 1 one Star alignment...........so long as my Drift Alignment is accurate. Which is why I'm continuing to refine the Drift Alignment until it''s well over an hour until the tiniest drift error creeps in. So I would keep Polaris alignment only for accurate Azimuth and Declination alignment and go for whatever brighter Stars are available.:dunno:

I haven't met any Astronomer who hasn't done the same thing in some time of observing:snorky: It's so easy to do and, having learned my lesson from doing it myself:doh:
                              , I always try to keep the alignment stars fairly well apart while trying to keep in the area of the Meridian.

The 40mm Plossi is a useful eyepiece so you're right in keeping that. I find I use my 40mm Pentax XL, 32 Meade Super Plossi, 24mm Televue Panoptic , 13mm Nagler, 10.5mm Pentax XL, 9mm and 7mm Naglers the most. So, in other words I only use between 40mm and 7mm, with the most used range being 10mm to 24mm during the night. I think, like you, I want to cover between 13mm and 24mm and although I have a nice 20mm Plossi , so I'm thinking of either a 16mm Nagler, 17mm Delos. I would have gone for a Pentax but their range jumps from 14mm [too close to my 13mm Nagler] and 20mm [which I might get next year:heehee:

Too true, but the trick is to decide what you "need" and what you "want":doh::scratch::snorky: I succumbed to "want" a month ago and bought a T2 20 mm Nagler from across the Pond in an e-Bay auction quite cheaply.......although the tax and posted added nearly a half to the cost.:gaah: It was a bit of a gamble as it was to say the least not in a mint condition and covered in water[?] spots. But it's a Cult eyepiece very rarely coming up for sale and I took the chance. I took it apart, gently, as far as I could and cleaned it up and apart from the paint work being worn and one or two scratches on the metal adapter it's fine. The optics are absolutely brilliant and I have no regrets. But it's a HUGE beastie and weighs in at around 2.5lbs!! but the NEQ6 handles it fine.

[​IMG]

If you can get a Dew Shield/Heater for your scope it's a great combination, as for the rest........well, you always need to upgrade:hate-shocked::coffee::snorky:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016