1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone keep Lizards?????

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Honey Bee, May 16, 2007.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    .... we are looking into letting oldest having a Gecko..... anyone got any tips????

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,533
    Used to keep Eyed lizards, Leopard geckoes and others years ago H. I think Dalbuie recently posted a pic of a Leopard G in the comp. They will need a constant supply of live commercially bred crickets (or grass hoppers in summer) and shady places to hide during the day as the are mainly nocturnal. A heated vivarium is an obvious requirement with a dry substrate, They need to swallow gravel to aid digestion for some reason and some should be available. Others here may have kept geckoes more recently than me and may offer more help. ;)

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
  4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    I do ... but not as pets, just welcome house guests! [​IMG]

Tip ... keep the cats away from them! :eek: But they are VERY intelligent and can play dead for a long time and remove their tail to escape! Clever critters ... love them! [​IMG]

5. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi HB, my hubby used to keep Gecko's when he was younger. He kept Leopard Gecko's which are slow moving and can be handled(carefully)! They eat live food like crickets.
    My youngest had one until last week when it sadly died,you can see a pic of Izzy in last months photo comp.

The Crickets need to be kept somwhere warm.Most other Geckos are very fast moving and not ideal for kids.Hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Daulbie

Sorry to hear of Izzy's demise.... :(

The kiddies are at Cub & Scout camp this weekend ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ) so Mr HB and I went for a wander yesterday morning, and came back with two Leopard Geckos (girls) and all the kit.... will post pics of them later!!!! (one of them has a regenerated tail, so we got her cheap!!!) They are really quite sweet......

So far they haven't touched their meal worms ( [​IMG] ) and I put 2 crickets in the vivarium, which I can't see this morning, so I have just fed the crickets, and later I am going to "season" them ready for the horrors to feed them to the Geckos later....

I am a bit confused about sand.... the books say don't put sand in the Vivs as they will eat it and become impacted.... but then most of the breeders keep them in sand!!!????

... er - can you tell me what their poop looks like, as I am to look out for it and scoop it out when I see it - but can't identify any yet!!!

:cool: