Artificial lawn weed help

Discussion in 'How To Use Xenforo' started by Andy Oddy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Andy Oddy

Andy Oddy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    5CCBD81D-1452-42C7-A6FA-D1BE6A693534.jpeg Hi I have artificial lawn at the front of my house because I am disabled. I Jhabvala a very virulent succulent type weed growing in it.i have had it power washed but it returns in a few weeks. Please could somebody help me identify it and how to deal with it.
    Many thanks

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Would not power wash it as that will more likely damage the grass or the soil under it, and unlikey to affect the 'weeds' roots.

We would suggest, once the weather is dryer for a few days, use a water on weedkiller that would hopefully go though the grass and deep into the weeds roots.

However before using all over the grass, you need to test some of the weed killer on a small patch of the 'grass' to ensure it does not affect it in any way, say apply it and leave for a few days to be sure it does not cause any discolouration etc

You can see here on Wikos site there are many such weedkillers to choose from, for a very small lawn you could use the hand spayer bottles, but probably the type you mix into a watering can is better.
    Have used and found the SBK Tough Weedkiller very effective on all types of weeds.

If you applied it now to kill off the obvious growths you will probalby have to re apply it in April May time when most weeds tend to sprout up in the warmer weather.

Weed Killer | Lawn & Weed Killer Sprays | wilko.com

3. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Another option that I learnt recently, from people who lay artificial turf is, they offer a service to come to your garden and apply a product to weed the artificial lawn, some of these companies charge £35 + vat for this service, and the product they use is Rocksalt ( yes the stuff to melt snow, but it has to be the rocksalt not icemelt crystals etc). They sprinkle it over the lawn and brush it in with a soft coco broom, then water the artificial lawn, as the salt permeates the soil it basically poisions the soil killing every plant that absorbs the salts. It works on gravel driveways and areas where weeds grow through, like inbetween paving slabs, ans stops anything from growing in the treated area for approx 8 months, its vastly cheaper than weedkillers, far more effective, and safer for wildlife.
    WARNING DO NOT GET THE ROCKSALT ON ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • dld2s

dld2s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Strange that about the rocksalt, I work in a place with Artificial 3g & sand dressed pitches, we were told by manufacturers (Tiger Turf) only salt that could be put on them if wanting to try and clear ice etc. was dry vacum salt and nothing else.
      I cant remember if they ever gave us a reason why? But It could be wear I suppose, as a lot of folk running over the pitches with rocksalt may wear pitch quicker, whereas I would imagine a lawn has a lot less traffic?

• Like Like x 1
      • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
        +598
        There’s millions of tonnes about 4 miles from me, I went down the mine and got in a minibus to get to the rock face