Bare root roses, what should I expect

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nickoslesteros, May 1, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,

Not only a rose novice, but a garden novice too. That said, I took a real fancy to planting roses last year and planted 9-10 bare root David Austin roses, mainly in the autumn last year, but some early this year too.

I wondering what it should expect out of them this year, so I know that I am caring correctly for them. Ideally I don't want to get in to the realm of spraying them.

I notice that some have their leaves being eaten fairly aggressively, and some having apihids (which I squish). Also some have some leaves browning at the edges.

One (gentle Hermione) has a stem which is half died back (has some growth at the tip on the healthy side.

Are these things all normal for newly establishing roses?

I have followed the planting instructions from DA yo the letter. Any hints for general care in this first year? It's a large investment for me, so want to get it right. And also want to make sure I'm not expecting too much too soon :).

Thanks you!
    PXL_20240501_163110789.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2024
  2. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Make sure you water them well while they are still young. They will stay quite small this year, depends a bit on the variety, be bigger next year and look like proper roses bushes the year after. They should have some flowers this year.

Cut back the dead bits to healthy stem.

3. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you! I'll keep patient and take care!
    Since sending my first message and now, I have been gifted a new ride for my birthday - Queen of Sweden, though the closest suitable place I have for it is about 6 feet from a small apple tree. Might this be too close, do no you think?

Many thanks !

4. Emptyheadtime

Emptyheadtime Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I am no rose expert by any means. My roses are next to a hedge and just a few feet from a pear tree and they do just fine, so I guess 6ft from an apple tree won’t be a problem, just be sure to feed and water them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,571
      I think that's OK. After all, people plant ramblers to grow up trees.

• Like Like x 2
      • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,735
        It’ll need lots of watering throughout the summer for the first two or three years until it becomes well-established as it will be in competition for moisture with the established appletree.

• Like Like x 1
        • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Keen Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
          Ratings:
          +1,312
          @Nickoslesteros, do you have squirrels visiting your garden? At this time of yr, they can nibble away any new foliage within reach. I've watched them do all sorts of contortions to get at the juicy shoots. Pesky wotsits.

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
          +24
          • Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,294
            I tried growing roses here, not far from where you are @Nickoslesteros, and they struggled in my dry, sandy soil. I think the important thing is to incorporate as much organic matter as you can into your soil to improve water retention, by mixing it with the soil and adding it on top as a mulch. Keep the soil moist, but not waterlogged and feed according to the instructions on your chosen rose food. Also keep the space around the base of your plants clear so that they are not competing with weeds, grass and other plants for water, light and nutrients.

• Like Like x 1
            • Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Gardener

Ratings:
              +450
              I would not be happy with that cane shown in the photo. It's unproductive and disease ridden, so I would have to prune that back to just above where the healthy shoot is coming out near the base. I don't see much use in that shoot as it is.

As Plantminded has detailed, some cultural improvements could be carried out there. It's best to mulch your roses with simple multi purpose compost, not stones/wood chip, as I'm of the opinion this suppresses nitrogen, even if temporary. Your rose looks nitrogen starved.

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
              +24
              @Plantminded, everything seems a struggle on this cursed soil! I brought in 2tonne of rotten manure from I think Broster's in Saughall Massie last year and must have bought 25 bags of it this year to try and improve the borders. It's definitely had some effect as it doesn't look as grey :)

@Mrs Hillard interesting point about the Nitrogen and the woods chips. I will make some changes today. Well rotten manure be OK, as I have a few bags of it in already?

Is there an artificial Nitrogen improvement I could make before I improve the soil again next autumn/winter?

• Like Like x 1
              • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +1,294
                This sandy soil does have some advantages @Nickoslesteros. Many ornamental grasses and Mediterranean plants such as Lavenders and Salvias like it, as well as Euphorbias. Luckily, I like those plants too!

• Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Gardener

Ratings:
                +450
                @Nickoslesteros

The manure is ok, just keep it off the stems. You don't need nitrogen on its own, just a balanced fertilizer should do, one that has an NPK in the region of 10-10-10.. I use Vitax Azalea which is around that. The types of roses you have can often be annoyingly slow in the first year, as it takes time for the rootstock to become established enough to support vigorous growth.

• Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
                +24
                Makes sense. I can work on my patience. I work in the software industry - much more used to instant results

That said, I've seen first have how two of the roses I planted from containers last summer are looking quite smart right now (Ronald Dahl and Poets Wife).

Thank so much for all the info

• Like Like x 1
                • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Keen Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                  Ratings:
                  +1,312
                  I like the colour of Roald Dahl. :blue thumb:

My favourite DA is The Lark Ascending (and what a fab name too ...) but I fear it is too large to really be happy in a pot, which is a shame.