1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bees or Wasps

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by DevonPhil, Apr 20, 2021.

1. DevonPhil

DevonPhil Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +154
    This afternoon I noticed a number of unidentified flying insects appearing to fly around and into a tiny gap in the outside wall tiles of a dorma window. Every minute anywhere between 5 to 10 fly in and out. At first I assumed they must be wasps. However, after photographing them in flight I'm not sure. Anyone able to tell what they are, and if they are a friend or a bad stingy thing?

flying-things.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,398
      They're not wasps! It looks as though you've got bees nesting in there. The Beekeepers Association only helps in cases of swarming, but there's info on what to do if you want rid...Swarm removal

• Like Like x 3
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Google image search Mason Bees and compare.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • DevonPhil

DevonPhil Gardener

Artist
          Ratings:
          +154
          Thanks @noisette47 for the info and link - most helpful.

@Scrungee I did some searches and they could just as easily be a Honey Bee or a Mason Bee.

The evidence suggests Mason Bee given there is no void behind the tiles - just wall inulation (The wall must only be approx. 100mm thick). Can't imagine there's enough room for a whole Honey Bee colony, and if there was, our home would by now be insulated by honeycomb.

The advice says Mason Bees generally don't cause (much) damage and are relatively good natured. I'm sure they've been repeat nesting here for years and don't see an immediate need to remove them - at least, not until the dorma is re-roofed. They're certainly helping to pollinate our garden, so I think all I can do for now is keep the window nearest closed and monitor their activity.

• Like Like x 3
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,233
            I can only give my experience with mason bees.... we have them in various mortar gaps in our house walls. They are fairly docile, as you have researched. We have some in the doorway - we only have one key-opened external door - and have co-existed without any problems.
            I have also observed them as they try to occupy the inset-points on a velux dormer window. Every 4-5 mins, the bee would come back and deposit sand to plug the hole to make it the correct size, and then started to lay eggs in the hole. In this circumstance, I blocked access to the hole with masking tape, as I didn’t want the emerging bees in our bedroom!

I think you have the opportunity to observe one of nature’s wonders at close quarters!

• Agree Agree x 3