1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Belfast sink into an alpine garden!

Discussion in 'Alpine Gardening' started by Helofadigger, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I found an old pot Belfast sink under all the rubble the other day and I spent part of yesterday's wonderful weather chipping all the enamel off it.

I only got one side done and I know it will take forever but I'm sure it will look great once it's finished and planted with some alpines.

Keep your fingers crossed for better weather!
    Helen.xxx.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Why bother chipping it off? We have 4 or 5 of them from the garden and all I did was to abrade the enamel and then cover some with hypertufa and others with stone paint. For hypertufa covering it is best to paint the surface with PVA glue first, but the stone paint needs no such preparation, only make sure the sink is grease free.
    Too much like hard work chipping off all that enamel!

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I was aware that you could cover the sink quite easy with some sort of PVA base then a cement and peat mixture, but I've done the chipping thing before and been more than happy with the end results. It gives me something to do while Bob is doing all the digging because until he's finished I can't get started with my planting! Helen.xxx.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    let's see the bright point: it will take far less time than restoring this:

[​IMG]

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You can cover the sink with wire nettig to give the hypertufa something to grip to I have used this successfully.

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Walnut for your advice if I had known about the wire netting before I started I would have gone with that, didn't want a smooth look at all.
    Oh well you live and learn... the sink is finished now just gotta wait for Bob to catch me up! Helen.xxx.