1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Butterfly Count

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Redwing, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Anyone doing it? It takes only 15 minutes and you can do it as many times as you like until 7 August. In your garden, on a walk, in a park, in a field or anywhere where there are butterflies. Citizen science and helps the Butterfly Conservation people learn more about how well or badly our common butterflies are doing.

big butterfly count

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      My garden is planted with Butterflies and other insects in mind, with food plants and those for laying eggs, Redwing. Ten years ago, I could count 6 or 7 varieties of Butterflies but over the years they have declined considerably. This year I have seen some Cabbage White [one or two], one Fritillary...........and that's it. I have hundred of Bees working away but Butterflies are becoming a rare thing.There's something seriously wrong in the UK

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        That's really sad @ARMANDII . In my three counts so far, in and around my garden, I've recorded over 150 butterflies of eight species so far.

• Like Like x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
          Ratings:
          +10,516
          Found that Joe Pye Weed attracts more butterflies than the "butterfly bush" and its so less fussy to take care of.

And you'd think I would know better to always strap my camera to my hip when in my garden. This morning saw a black butterfly on my red bee palm, and to top it, my cat Teddy decided to investigate it, would have been a great shot.

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836

[​IMG]

Eutrochium
            is a North American genus of herbaceous flowering plants in the sunflower family. They are commonly referred to as Joe-Pye weeds. They are native to the United States and Canada, and have non-dissected foliage and pigmented flowers.

The genus includes all the purple-flowering North American species of the genus Eupatorium as traditionally defined.[1] Eupatorium has recently undergone some revision and has been broken up into smaller genera.[2][3] Eutrochium is the senior synonymof Eupatoriadelphus.[4][5] Eupatorium in the revised sense (about 42 species of white-flowered plants from the temperate Northern hemisphere) is apparently a close relative of Eutrochium. Another difference between Eutrochium and Eupatorium is that the former has mostly whorled leaves and the latter mostly opposite ones.[6][7] Eupatorium and Eutrochium are both placed in the subtribe Eupatoriinae, but South American plants which have sometimes been placed in that subtribe, such as Stomatanthes, seem to belong elsewhere in the tribe Eupatorieae.[3]

Species[8]

Medicinal[edit]
            Joe Pye (Jopi in the Native tongue), an Indian healer from New England, used E. purpureum to treat a variety of ailments, which led to the name Joe-Pye weed for these plants.[10] Folklore says that Joe Pye used this plant to cure fevers. Folklore also states that American colonists used this plant to treat typhus outbreaks.[11] The author Hemmerly writes that the Indians used Joe Pye Weed in the treatment of kidney stones and other urinary tract ailments.[12]

[​IMG]
            Bumblebee pollinating Joe-Pye weed
            [​IMG]
            Whorled leaves of a Joe Pye Weed. Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina

• Informative Informative x 2
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,728
              • Like Like x 4
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +10,516
                we have a huge crop of the Joe Pye Weed down in the garden valley. I am thinking easy a span of 8 foot by 8 foot circle. they grow fairly tall, like 5 feet or 6 feet. and stay up sturdy even in hard rain. checking this morning, the buds are there, and slowly opening up.

• Like Like x 3
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  Just a reminder: we have until 7 August to submit our counts, as many times as you like.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1