1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BIRDS OF THE REST OF THE WORLD! G.C. member photos!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Cookie Monster, Apr 8, 2008.

1. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    possibly a yellow legged gull. la palma jan 08

[​IMG]

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,310
    Fabulous photos of the Kestrel, Glen :thumb: :)

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Ahhh fab once again Glen - the kestrel pics are utterly beautiful and the Raven is very Omenesque!

Love them!

I'm not very good on the 'little brown jobbies' identification though!

The kestrel is marvellous.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,403
    :thumb:Fantastic pics again Glen. I saw Berthelots Pipits on Mount Teide two years ago but the camera I had then would have shown them as dots!
    I would love to visit La Palma but In house Advisor doesn't.:(

5. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks shiney,cookie,strongy! La Palma is a lovely island, it was our first visit but probably not our last. Its a very green island and easy to get around.best of all, there are hardly any tourists and its eay to get away from the few that are there. The volcano range is great for walking.

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    blackcap Majorca 07.

[​IMG]

7. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    re shineys photo's 26-04-2008, 07:58 AM. middle photo is a grey crowned crane I think.

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Glen - yep Strongy mentioned something about it being a Crane too. East African Crowned Crane I think he said. Cor - East Africa I thought - bit lost on Hawaii surely !!!!!

Love the Black cap - which part of Majorca were you? My uncle lives in Majorca, up in the mountains outside of Palma, and has always worked in the tourist industry there. So many people never leave the beaches and see the beautiful mountains, monasteries and traditional villages. Really lovely place if you hire a car and get off the beaten track.

The thing I am really envious about your pics is - not only do you get great shots of the subject, but the surroundings and backdrops are always fab too! These pine trees and the tree the kestrel was in are just two lovely examples.

Bravo chuck!

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we were at the other side of the island, at cala ratjada. We went for in october, things were very quiet, just how we like it!! The resort is very german orientated, all the locals recognise your a tourist and automatically talk german to you!!! The hotel was by far the best we've ever stayed in and the food was superb! it was the Hotel & Spa S'Entrador Playa if anyone fancies it!!

We booked independantly, flew into palma, hired a car ( a smart fortwo, great fun!!!) and drove across the island. we got lost a bit but it added to the adventure. We spent the holiday just wondering around and loved it. Not too hot( I'm not a sun worshipper), just perfect for pottering!!

10. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW the grey crowned crane and the east african crowned crane are one and the same i think!! its possibly a captive bird???

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,403
    The male Blackcap is superb Glen, with my camera I can never get that kind of shot.:thumb:

We like that side of Majorca, have been three times and still love it. As you say there is much to see away from the resorts.We found the same regarding being assumed to be German.

12. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Strongy.

I've just been uploading a few photo's from around La Palma, will start a thread asap, you never know it might persuade In House Advisor to change their mind about a holiday there!!!

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,403
    Madeira is in the frame for next year (depends on the state of the Euro), I will work on La Palma.:)

14. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Hey Strongy you've said the majic word MADEIRA!! We go every year for a week.It is such a beautiful Island, I don't think you will be disappointed. What time of year was you thinking of going? As you probably know its sub-tropical and warm all the year round. If you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer them, just ask. If I was smart enough I could pass you some links,but not lear'nt how to do that yet. 02

15. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,403
    If we go it will have to be august.