1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bitcoin payment button

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by FloraPie, Jan 28, 2017.

1. FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
    +295
    I knew what price BTC was at seven years ago. I know its price today. And I know where it's headed. Currently it's the worlds fastest growing currency. I have heard comments such as these for near on a decade now. They are very sad. Our financial world is changing, fiats are failing globally and zero effort is taken by many to even comprehend the situation. I don't expect that anyone who consumes only mainstream media guff to understand Bitcoin and nor do I waste my time trying to explain. It's just too obvious to computer techs, global thinkers and those of us who know that all money is digital. Little bits of paper are doomed for the scrap heap very soon.

Had I donated $600 worth of Bitcoin to GC seven years ago, you'd now have a cool million. But never mind...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      I truly don't understand it, and there lies the problem.
      Mainstream media guff, you need to explain that as well.

Best you dont waste your time on me then.

As to Fiat, their motors have always been pretty poor.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        You're correct, Flora, vast corporate movements of monies is digital. the money that is in our Bank accounts is digital and many have been the Doom sayers prophesying the end of cash whether it be paper or metal........but there is no sign of that yet.:dunno: Some very realistic and intelligent people use cash because they have more control over it, feel freer in their dealings rather than trusting Computer Servers to hold their their complete finances. We all have to use some sort of digital currency

That may be so in some countries where the trust in computers, cloud servers, corporation banking, is considered to be total and has a grip on lower economies within their societies. But those countries are, in the main, few against those countries who put part of their trust into cash as well as digital. No form of currency is the complete answer whether it be the Dollar, Pound, Yen, or some form of digital.

Not really a good example as that is "happy conjecture" rather than reality in inflation rather than value.:dunno:

I think most people understand that conventional stocks and investments are still recovering from the global financial collapse but that does not make the argument that Bitcoins are the solution/panacea for that. Bitcoins only have value, like other currencies, by being compared against known standards of value.....such as other currencies. A countries currency has that country's backing, along with the standing it has on Stock Markets etc, and is recognised at a value level. Bitcoin is neither bullet proof or immune to devaluation, inflation, etc. It works, it is digitally fashionable in some countries but that does not mean that those people or countries that prefer to use cash partially in their economies are short sighted, lack vision, or are unintelligent............just the opposite.:dunno::snorky:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2017
      • FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
        +295
        @pete ~ I'd bet that the majority of the worlds population don't understand global fiat and how that really works either. If they did, they'd have Bitcoin. It requires a learning curve and it's a bloodbath out there in corporate media land regarding it, but I only need to click three buttons.... there you go, you now have a BTC wallet in your name. Three books: 'Bitcoin for Idiots' by Arthur Crandon, 'The Bitcoin Bible Gold Edition' by Benjamin Guttmann, 'The Black Book of Bitcoin' by Mark Janniro. Hope they help.

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,595
          I don't understand global fiat.

You'd never get a Fiat round the globe without it either rotting away, falling apart, or simply getting stuck half way up the first steep hill it came to.

• Funny Funny x 3
          • FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
            +295
            The signs have been glaring for years, but of course one can wait until the day, and then see what's available to them :thumbsup:

Never has been, you are correct.

Bitcoin is owned by the people of the world and has global backing and we all know about those stock markets etc :snork:

Thanks SO much for the discussion, I really do appreciate it. But now I'm off to do some gardening posts :hapfeet:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              I must have missed something here - this post is about a couple of quid donation to a little gardening forum - ain't it :scratch::biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836

Fiat money is a currency established as money by government regulation or law. The term derives from the Latin fiat ("let it become", "it will become") used in the sense of an order or decree. It differs from commodity money and representative money. Commodity money is created from a good, often a precious metal such as gold or silver, which has uses other than as a medium of exchange (such a good is called a commodity), while representative money simply represents a claim on such a good.

The first use of fiat money was recorded in China around 1000 AD. Since then, it has been used by various countries, concurrently with commodity currencies.

Definition
                Fiat money has been defined variously as:

• Any money declared by a government to be legal tender.
                • State-issued money which is neither convertible by law to any other thing, nor fixed in value in terms of any objective standard.
                • Intrinsically valueless money used as money because of government decree.
                While gold- or silver-backed representative money entails the legal requirement that the bank of issue redeem it in fixed weights of gold or silver, fiat money's value is unrelated to the value of any physical quantity. A coin is fiat currency to the extent that its face value, value defined in law, is greater than its market value as metal.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Agreed, Harry, but I think Flora was trying to get more converts to Bitcoin by her enthusiastic opinion of it.:dunno::snorky:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                  +19,595
                  When I was little, I learned basic maths at school. Some of the exercises involved money.

A bit later, I started earning money. I knew how it worked.

Now in my early 40s, I think I know how money works. I know what a tenner is worth. If someone tries to charge me a tenner for a cup of coffee, or if they offer me a tenner for my car, I know they are trying to rip me off. When buying my house, I knew which of the houses I looked at were priced sensibly for what they were, and which were over priced, and which were so low priced that alarm bells instinctively rang, prompting me to ask what was wrong with the house or location.

Basically by now I've got a handle on how much stuff is worth in pounds sterling. Pound sterling is still around, and will be for the foreseeable future, so why would I want to learn a whole new currency?

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Well, I guess we learn everyday about new things, but knowing and using that "new thing" is a personal choice. People get enthusiastic about certain things, like me with Astronomy, and try to inspire other people.........but, I guess, it's up to us to make up our own mind. Me?, Bitcoin is a tool that I can see no real value or use for........and, to me, it's fatal flaw is that it is completely computer driven.......and there are a lot of folks out there that [a] don't have a computer or don't trust computers.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2017
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,310
                      Does that mean I have to stop storing it under my bed? :hate-shocked:

Oh! I forgot :doh:. I don't have a bed :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,310
                        @HarryS You've been a member long enough to know that the original topic rarely lasts more than the first page :nonofinger: :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Funny Funny x 3
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,310
                          Gobbledeegook Alert!!!! :yikes:

Having had a lifelong interest in fiat, commodity and representative money I have a sceptical view on the efficacy of all of them. They all work and some work better than others, depending on the multifarious aspects of the local and worldwide economy at the time.

There are so many factors to take into account but it comes down to what you can understand and what works for you. For most people, they don't have any spare money to bother about it.

Someone, that I know and respect, told me in 2004 that I should buy gold because he could see a recession coming (he's spent his whole life in the financial markets). Since then it has tripled (quadrupled around 2012).

I told him that I could see that it would be a good investment (if I had sufficient money to play with :snork:) but that I could see many obstacles. The first was, of course, the commission rate that would have to be paid when buying. The law at the time precluded you from actually having gold in a tangible form apart from in coins. So if you bought gold bullion it would have to be stored for you - at a 'small' cost. The commission rate for bullion, at the time, varied from 7% - 12% but if you bought it from Switzerland it was 1.5%. Sounds good, but - if you wanted to bring it to this country you would have to pay VAT.

Gold would be a good commodity if there was an enormous crash in the markets where you might lose a lot of your savings, if you had them, in banks etc. The major problem would then be accessing your gold for barter purposes. An even bigger problem would be, who would want your gold if the economy went belly up?

So, I stick with the system I know and keep an eye on what is happening around me. If BTC looks as though it would be worth it to me then I would consider my options.

In the meantime I'm happy growing my own food, looking for bargains when shopping (nowhere near as well as @Scrungee), am happy to go to some of the local pubs for a very good, and substantial, two course lunch (with coffee) for £7.50 and use my savings to pay for holidays. :)

• Like Like x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +46,046
                            It's in gardener's genes to wander about.

Go outside with best intentions of mowing the lawn but then you see some deadheading that needs to be done, so off to find the snips and a bucket. In the shed you spot some onion sets that simply must be planted today, so get the rake and spade and start making for the bed you had in mind, but you discover last year's brussels are in the way and need pulling up and composting. Getting to the compost heap, it's full, really you should empty it, now would be a good time to dig it in, off to get the wheelbarrow .... etc etc ...

Maybe the lawn will get mown tomorrow :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • Like Like x 2
                            • Funny Funny x 1