Blueberry plant issues

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by hi2u_uk, Apr 30, 2024.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    Can anyone help identify what is wrong as i dont think my blueberries look right. They are in ericaceous compost and soil mix out doors. They are in the same position as they were in last year but this time last year they were a lot more leafy. Are they dead ? what can i do to revive them ?

Attached Files:

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +239
    Have you fed them?
    I use Miracle Grow fertilizer for azaleas on my potted blueberries - feed once a month until Sept. If they're in ericaceous compost they will need an ericaceous fertilizer.

My only other thought is that with all the rain we've had the roots are soaked all the time, but mine are fine.

3. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    actually i have not fed them. I did put a little bit of ericaceous compost in the pot a few weeks ago is it still worth adding in some plant food as thats easy for me to buy and do today
    in terms of the rain , im planning not to water them but i need to say that the other plants are doing ok

4. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +239
    As long as the plant food you use is specifically for plants in ericaceous compost.
    Ordinary fertilizers are not designed to work in low pH compost, so the plants will not be able to make use of the fertilizer - which is why you need an ericaceous fertilizer.

It's not easy to over water blueberries, they like damp conditions at their roots all the time.
    If your tap water is hard, always use rainwater if you can.

5. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +961
  6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +87,165
    To me it looks like growth is just starting, lots of fat buds yet to open.

The leaves on part of the plant in picture one look badly distorted, left hand side.

I notice in wet springs that snails come out at night a graze on the new buds of plants befor they have chance to open.

I've even had snails, really tiny ones, up in trees eating the new buds as they start to open, might be worth a look with a torch after dark.

7. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32

so you think maybe its worth waiting longer i.e. dont worry . Do snails like blueberries . Its on gravel so im wondering where the snails come from As i say everything else looks in the garden looks a bit more leafy

8. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    Normally i dont feed the plants as i always read about over feeding causing damage

9. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +239
    Plants can't survive with no feed at all if they're in pots.
    Feeding once a month is not going to cause overfeeding.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +87,165
    Well they are not dead.
    Snails like anything in my experience and they will cross gravel, might even be hiding under the pots during the day, a damp night and a torch will help you find out.
    Have you had frost recently?

Where are you, if you fill in your location it helps people know about your growing season.

11. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
    +917
    They look very young plants so perhaps need a bit more time.

I feed my plants at this time of year once around the start of April, then no more until after fruiting as I’d been advised it makes the fruit bitter. Absolutely the feed should be specifically for ericaceous plants. I too use Miracle-Gro for Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron. They need a sunny spot, as said moisture, but not too wet (the pots do have drainage holes?) , I never use tap water and understand this is more important in hard water areas. I have 4 plants, all currently in flower, but only one in full flower i.e. covered. The other 3 have some flowers open, but also a lot of buds. But these plants are over 3-4 years old and were never as small as those in the pictures i.e. they were bought as large plants (3L pots). What size are your pots, and did you perhaps re-pot recently?

12. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    I will try feeding it but i guess maybe its just a late bloomer. They are in the same pot and the same position they were in last year and im 95% sure that there is a drainage hole in both pots. I do not collect rain water so it gets water from the tap unless its raining

13. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    Anything in a pot needs food, and the amount given depends on the plant. They're completely dependent on you for their needs, unlike when in the ground.
    I think you're up here aren't you @hi2u_uk ? Rainwater is plentiful, but once there's foliage covering the bulk of the pot, you then need to be vigilant. Tap water up here is also fine if you don't want to collect rain through summer etc.
    Drainage is important for anything potted.
    Blueberries do need feeding though. Slugs and snails have no problem crossing gravel, but blueberries aren't usually that attractive to them.

14. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    I dont have any interest in collecting rain water but i think one of my neighbours has a rain water collection system outside their house so im surprised they dont sell some. Ive bought some of the miracle grow and will feed the blue berries but as i say the other plants seem to be ok without feeding .

15. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
    +917
    If you can try to let the tap water stand 24 hours before you use it to water them. Is it possible to pick the pot up enough to check you do have drainage, and look for roots? They will at some point in the future need re-potting. Mine are likely in their final pot which is 30L, I've already had to prune them for excess growth for the small area we have.