1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Broadband supplier

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Michael Hewett, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,160
    Thanks for your encouraging words @pete
    I've had two previous (very basic) mobiles which I hardly ever used. I lost one, and the other one went on fire while I was using it. Clouds of black smoke started billowing from it :heehee:
    I do intend to get another very basic one eventually but only because I'd be able to get help if the car broke down. I don't intend living attached to it.

I haven't got one at the moment because my late partner Beryl had one which we could rely on in an emergency (although she never used it for anything either)
    I must say though, I did find it handy when B became disabled, and if I went to the dentist or something I could use it to keep in contact with her, so I suppose they have their uses :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,481
      I've always treated mobiles and a lot of other modern tech as 'don't need, don't want' items. They're always trying to push me towards having a mobile by saying they can't deal with me without a mobile phone number but it usually turns out that 'can't' becomes 'can' if you push them enough. Playing the 'old person with physical difficulties' card tends to work. :roflol:

Actually, trying to work a mobile when you have arthritis in the hands is a pain in the ... thumbs! :heehee:

Some people say "what if your car breaks down when you're out?" (Isn't that likely to be the case as it would usually break down when you're using it? :scratch:). I normally respond with "I've been driving for 60 years and managed to get by OK". Of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow :noidea:. So I had better not drive tomorrow. :loll:

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • ChrisIB

ChrisIB Gardener

Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +85
        I have BT fibre and one thing to bear in mind is that unless you opt out, your hub is also used to provide public Wi-Fi

• Informative Informative x 4
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +118,481
          I'm rather ignorant on these things but isn't it password protected? :scratch:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,327
          Found this that might clarify:
          "Whether you’ve just signed up to BT recently or you’ve been with them for a while, you’ve probably noticed their BT Wifi networks all over the place. You can easily find them when you’re trying to connect to a public network.

The truth is that these public networks often piggyback off of your own wifi router at home. This means that when you look in your network tab (depending on what device you’re using), you might find some other devices in there that you don’t recognize.

These are all devices that are using your router, but they are not actually using your private wifi network. Even so; how can you stop your BT router being a hotspot for other people? Well, here’s the easiest way to do this."
          It then goes on to describe how to opt out see: How do I stop my BT router being a hotspot? - Spacehop

So BT hub WiFi has two sections your private bit password protected etc and a public accessible bit.

• Informative Informative x 4
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,481
            Thanks @NigelJ

I'm not on fibre yet, although they say everyone will be changed to it by 2025, and I can't see us becoming a hotspot for other people being where we are. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
            • ChrisIB

ChrisIB Gardener

Software engineer
              Ratings:
              +85
              A benefit with the BT full fibre is they provide HD telephone handsets which talk directly to the hub (rather than a socket). Whilst it means you can't switch the hub off without losing the ability to make or receive calls, call quality is very good indeed.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,624
                That's me - surgically attached :smile:. I don't carry a wallet anymore as I can make contactless payments with my 'phone. I love the video calls - where I can see the people I am talking to. Talking of car breakdown - the Greenflag app. is brilliant. Open the app. and press a button to summon recovery - there's a map which shows where you are and where the mechanic is.

Also good for adding an additional layer of security - where you are sent a text with a code - so that you can log in to your web accounts.

I can't do without mine now.

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +18,160
                  What about your driving licence ? and things like Tesco club card for example ? I have a card I present to the chap in the petrol station and it builds up credit which I can have off my petrol when there's enough, and Co-op card which gathers credit I can get off my shopping bill ...

:yikes::yikes::yikes: :nonofinger::nonofinger::nonofinger: I couldn't cope with that ! :frown::frown::frown:

:gaah:I'd end up throwing it out the window :gaah:

I really don't belong in the 21st century :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,481
                    I barely belong in the 20th century :old:

Not sure that's a benefit if you lose the ability to make or receive calls if the hub is switched off or the power is cut. My old fashioned plug in phone has superb quality sound. :blue thumb:

My credit card is much lighter :blue thumb:

That means you have to put clothes on! :rolleyespink:

What's a 'text' or a 'web account'? :scratch:

Ah! I seem to remember that people are have to take a driving test nowadays. New fangled ideas! :noidea:

I just carry those in my pocket. I travel light. I kept getting too many moths in my wallet!

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1