1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chat Rooms

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by spotofbother, Nov 29, 2008.

1. spotofbother

spotofbother Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, was feeling a lil' intimidated for what I felt a perfectly reasonable suggestion....ho hum lol x

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Don`t let `em grind you down Carly, I don`t.:gnthb:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    It sounded like a good idea to me Carly, I've never used one but it could work I would have thought. That bag of badgers is not as mad as it sounds :)

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Carly, I have no objection to a Chat Room even though I am much too busy to want to bother with one, but I can see some practical problems with it.

This forum is privately owned and run very well by volunteers. It must take a considerable amount of time by the volunteer moderators to keep an eye on things - thank you mods :gnthb:. A chat room is in real time and, I guess (but don't know), that monitoring on it must take up an awful lot of time.

I do think that, as Lady of Leisure, says, that there are plenty of areas on GC where people can communicate on a social basis and many have made friendships along the way - visited each other, met up etc. This seems to be a nice gentle way of being friendly and fits well with the mood of the forum.

Of course, I may just be an old stick-in-the-mud :hehe: :hehe::lollol: :rotfl:

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :gnthb: LoL & shiney.... Totally agree...!!!
    You do have to have mods monitoring a chat room & it is real time so I am afraid I wouldn't have much free time for that sort of thing & to be honest I don't think many others on here have either.... They always cause allot of problems in my experience & especially from the mods side of things..!! :) Just my opinion anyway...:wink:

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It isn`t a wholly bad idea to have chat rooms, it isn`t just the mods who have other things to do, although I do appreciate you are looking at it from your own point of view Marley-being one.

The type of forum tends to dictate the type of people on it, and as has been pointed out before, friendships have grown between particular people. It depends on how serious the forum is, and the individual chat room.

There are some on here I would be able to chat away to for twenty minutes or so and some I wouldn`t-I would join the discussion as I chose anyway.

7. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Carly,feel free and contact me on MSN. I don't have a problem with it although I'm not an expert gardener and learning lots for all the experienced peeps on here.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    I too am a member of other forums Lolli, where there are chat rooms on some of them... As I said before, this is my own personal view, they are not my cup of tea really...

I messenger or google talk to my friends, much nicer & you can group talk if you want... :)

The chat rooms seem to work well on a couple of the forums I visit, but they are huge International ones based in USA & Canada..

The others all UK based & smaller, seem to have allot of argueing & bickering going on amongst themselves or just not constructive talk, pretty boring really & so not used that much..!!:(

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

I think I must have seen some of those bad ones too Marley-plenty of animosity out there unfortunately, and you`re right they don`t get used much-I have exeprienced a particularly nasty one on a quit smoking forum I was once associated with-hence the "once associated with" part. I do appreciate it was your own point of view also-I think I said as much in the post. Interesting you say that those you like are international, so perhaps you have something there. Wide ranging opinions perhaps contribute to general harmony. I hadn`t thought of that.

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb:
    :thmb: I think that has allot to do with it Lolli yes.....:)

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Cant help thinking that it would be a very quiet chatroom, bearing in mind the amount of people we seem to have online these days.:snz:

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Carly, why not use PM`s? :thmb:

13. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Chop me down and put through a shredder and put me on the compost heap for what i am about to say.
    This is a gardeneing forum, not a chat room.
    The bandwidth that a chat room would use i bet will be somewhat expensive, running a good website is not cheap.
    If i had wanted to be on a chat room I would have joined one.

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb::thmb: Personally, I just so totally agree with you Water-Garden....:thmb::D:D

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It`s wise to have many strings to your bow, but it isn`t likely to happen.

BTW, this isn`t actually an exclusively gardening forum, just primarily one.