Climbing plants for tree stump

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Janbristol, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Janbristol

Janbristol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    Unfortunately an old apple tree has had to be chopped due to it being unsafe, I am now left with fairly tall stump and outward branches for insects and birds. The tall stump has a bird box, and there is a fair bit of ivy.
    I wanted to plant climbers that would support wildlife, any suggestions would be appreciated. I do like plants with twisty turny thick stems, I did wonder about wisteria?
    Many thanks,
    Jan

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Ivy is excellent for attracting wildlife when it gets mature and berries. It flowers late and is good for pollinating insects in the autumn when there is not often much else. Then the berries ripen in February and are late food for the thrushes when most other berries have finished. Sounds to me like you are already doing the right things for attracting wildlife, sounds perfect; you could add some bird feeders to the bare branches.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Jan,
      Probably the best climber for wildlife is Honeysuckle, it's rich in nectar for insects, has berries and the loose bark is used by birds for nesting.

You can also try Clematis and Roses.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +13,957
        Definitely not Wisteria! It weighs a ton when mature, takes a lot of maintenance through the year to stop it going berserk and the flowers AFAIK aren't particularly valuable for insects.
        Whatever you plant, thinking long-term, you will probably have to start over again when the stump rots and falls over. Not to mention a possible source of honey fungus!

• Useful Useful x 1