1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Disabled Gardening

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Mr. Twosheds, Jun 19, 2009.

?

What Title for the new Forum.?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2009.
  1. Gardening Made Easy..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gardening for the Disabled..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gardening Tips for the Disabled..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gardening Made Easier & not Just for the Disabled.!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Happy with Whatever Choice is made..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hints and Tips to Make Gardening Easier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Have to admit .... if i seen a forum marked "gardening made easier" I would presume it was for people like me who always end up doing everything the hard way cause we know no better.

I dont think anyone with any sort of 'challanges' would know it was for them as such.

I know others disagree (sorry) but i do honestly feel that unless the word disabled is in the title somewhere, it would be very much under used and not attract the very people it could well turn out to help ....... regardless of a name ..... surely thats the object in the first place ??

JMHO :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
      +24
      I don't understand the need for a subforum for this subject. You post a question and someone who knows about the answer replies.

Other than a suggestion for raised beds the rest would be links to commercial sites surely.

• jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
      +206

Sam, I think that is the point - 'gardening made easier' is for everybody
      not specifically people with disabilities.

• youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
      +5

If that's the case, then we dont need a seperate forum then:scratch: The original Title of this thread IS.. Disabled Gardening!!!

• Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
    • Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +41
      :thmb:

• jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
      +206
      Isn't that why we are asked to suggest an alternative title???

:scratch:

• Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      I think what YDD was trying to say is that .... if its for EVERYONE then we dont need a new board as the boards that are in use currently are for EVERYONE

I think ........ :)

• Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +213
      +1 :gnthb:

• youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      How can we able folk "Tell" the not so abled folk how to garden Pal, We dont have a clue what its like to garden from a Wheelchair!!!

And Sam, yes thats what i was Trying to say LoL...

• Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      I dont think it would be a case of anyone 'TELLING' anyone anything, more a case of giving advice or sudgestions were we can, disabled or not surely we seek to use the site to HELP others?

Of course many of us arent disabled but we may like SteveR have experiences we can share eg his tool sudgestions. Or perhaps experience of rasised beds etc.

• Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
      Ratings:
      +213
      Lol at this thread. Shall we just put everything in General Gardening Discussion and have done with it:hehe:

Simple 'what it says on the tin' titles, nothing more sinister than that.

Even if you call it 'Gardening for those that hurt themselves stretching one time', people could still start a new thread called 'Weeding for Weak Widows' , 'Disabled Dahlia Planting' or 'How do I grow Runner Beans if I am Chair Bound'.:doh:

I am very much amused :D looking forward to the conclusion of this epic name search:gnthb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      "Kristen, pm me if you wish to regarding google keywording and scores, I'm very familiar with it due to being paid for building sites, forums, communities, cemercial and other wise for the last 10 years."

Thanks, but I don't have conversations by PM that could be held in public. I have made a conscious choice to "put something back" by participating in forums where views and knowledge are shared. I'm happy to discuss in a different thread.

WRT having a different forum, or not, my view is:

Questions could be asked anywhere, and will be answered knowledgeably, I'm sure.

However, I think this site could provide a best-of-breed resource, and encouraging those posts to be in a specific forum will mean that people who find the site when looking for help about a disability will then have a whole forum of questions and answers to read and benefit from. When someone becomes disabled (car accident, onset of illness, ...) I think that would be a great resource.

(But I'll be very happy with whatever the powers-that-be decide)

It is entirely possible to use the Search to find such posts - but folk rarely do that - if they did we wouldn't be answering questions about "My potatoes haven't flowered, when can I lift them?" or "Do I have to take the side shoots off my tomatoes?" regularly

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      My vote goes for 'Gardening Made Easier'. We're all so different and disabilities are so varied, some hardly disabilities at all but natural ageing things that slow us down. When does one cross the line, say from having a bad back, to being disabled? I dunno, I suppose it's how you see yourself as much as anything. 'Gardening Made Easier', it seems to me, would encompass a wide range and would help a whole load of us who are not really disabled but are beginning to find some physical things a bit of a challenge.

• Mr. Twosheds

Mr. Twosheds Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Now I am beginning to feel a tad awkward. I am not an established member here and my first post has caused some upset.

The nitty gritty is that I am disabled. Simple as that. I am not offended by the word in the slightest. The only difference between myself and a abled bodied person is that I have to think before I tackle any job or task. My disability is progressive which means as time marches on I will have to find new ways of doing things.

I love my garden, we all love our gardens. Their our pride and joy. All I wanted to achieve with my first post was to find out if anybody else was in the same boat as me. From a navigational point of view, yes I would love a section that I can refer to if needed, but I would still post in the other topics.

I dont want to be treated any different from anyone else. My flowers and vegetables will look no different from other peoples, but the way I go about growing and tending them will. I got comfort from knowing that another disabled member here also lays down to do the weeding. I thought I was the only one. Silly, but a comfort all the same. I have a host of tips and hints that might be of use to someone and likewise members here will be a godsend with their advice.

The last thing I want to do is give up my garden because of my disability and thats why I chose to join your forum.

I am deeply sorry for any upset caused.

Pete.

• Agree Agree x 1