Disabled Gardening

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Mr. Twosheds, Jun 19, 2009.

?

What Title for the new Forum.?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2009.
  1. Gardening Made Easy..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gardening for the Disabled..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gardening Tips for the Disabled..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gardening Made Easier & not Just for the Disabled.!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Happy with Whatever Choice is made..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hints and Tips to Make Gardening Easier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pete - good on you for your post. You've nothing to feel awkward or sorry about - I'm sure lots of others including myself are following the whole "debate of a suitable name" with great amusement :hehe:

2. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17

Pete ............ please please do not feel awkward and I hope this doesnt put you off coming back !!!

I dont think for one minute you have caused 'upset'. People feel very pasionate with certain subjects, thats all. Plus it all being in text rather than speach sometimes its rather hard to get across what <whoever> is trying to say as such .... and then also there is no way of knowing how others will read what <whoever> has tried to say.

I dont think for one minute anyone is upset in any way, shape or form.

Its the great thing about forums (of all types) is that you get so many different opinions on one subject matter. Doesnt mean someone is right or wrong thought, just different.

If there was an icon for a virtual hug I would send you one, but there doesnt appear to be!

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,280
    Hi Pete No Worries :thumb:,Its just Handbags at Ten Paces,:wink: [​IMG]:yho::rotfl:

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I give up! Someone shoot me a pm if you ever come to a decision.

No - on the other hand, just shoot me before I shoot the thread!

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Likewise, that's been the best part of this thread!

I'll be honest, if there were a section or sub forum on this subject, I probably wouldn't visit it much, unless I had a specific query or advice was needed. But that's the same for other sections here as well - I don't have an allotment so seldom visit that area.

Don't feel upset Pete - it's given some of us a laugh, kept things interesting and got some others all hot and bothered :thumb::hehe:

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Maybe we need a "benevolent dictator" (Plato's Philosopher King anyone?) to decide on a name?:thmb:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I am not an established member here and my first post has caused some upset."

I feel badly for hijacking your thread ... but I think you have created an opportunity for a resource here that others will find useful, and it just needed that spark to start the ball rolling.

Whenever the way the site works / what forums we should have / whether an upgrade or new feature was good, bad, or even worse!, is discussed there are ten people with twenty different views.

Generally when we talk about gardening there is lots of agreement :thumb:

I'm glad I am not running the show and don't have to make the ultimate decision.

And thank goodness you are calm and collected about your original question going off at such a tangent.

8. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Don't apologise for the post Pete! No one is upset (I don't think)....and it's a good thread.

Personally I am looking forward to your tips for the less physically able gardeners.

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :) Don't feel bad about anything Pete, there is no reason to at all.. What you say makes perfect sense... So many with different problems here I am sure we can all share tips... I am with the "Gardening Made Easier" camp myself... :flag:

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh blimey! Mr Twosheds, you have not caused upset. Just our 'discussion' amongst friends :) I have been reading this, and without wanting to seem to sit on the fence, can see both sides. And, before anyone says to themselves 'oh, yeah that's borrowers' - if you've got something to say to me come on!

Anyway, I was thinking.....yes it was hard:)...I first went for 'gardening made easier' , then after reading some comments thought 'oh, yeah maybe it should have a word like (aaahhhh)-disabled in it. Then again thought, well forget why we are looking at it, if it makes it easier then it benefits us all. Within this new thread there would bound to be lots of things that would help all of us, whatever state of health we are in.

If you look at previous posts there are these things already but maybe having a seperate thread (am I using the right terminology here??) would make it easier - no pun intended.

Whatever is decided I am glad you have joined us Mr TwoSheds (btw I loved where the namesake came from, lol) and hopefully you will see you have joined a lively site!

cheers

11. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    The whole premise of GC is 'Gardening Made Easier' is it not ?:)

I agree that unless you call it something definitive it's pointless, you may as well accommodate 'gardening made easier' across numerous existing sub-forums. Any number of 'I can't do this' threads can be located in container, tools, beginners forums etc. Furthermore I think they should be accommodated across existing sub-forums so that disabled gardening can be viewed as a special interest.

It would be nice to have a Disabled section so that any specifics could be saved from the wash of other content. This is not to exclude or relegate people, issues or disabilities, but as I see it protect worthy and unique ideas by means of a specific forum. I think this is important to give the sub forum credibility and context.

From a personal perspective there is already a wash of 'noise' threads' which have to be navigated to get to the good stuff, it's nice to have a solid and specific starting point.

Don't fall out over a sub forum name:gnthb: there's much better things to fall out over :p:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,686
      :gnthb: :gnthb: :gnthb: :gnthb:

• borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
      +48
      Don't shout BM, but what's 'noise threads'? Is it me? Seriously. I don't know what that means.

cheers

• lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
      +24
      I know what is meant-it means spam posts Borrowers-anyone who makes a post that isn't strictly concerned with the thread title is traditionally considered to be a "noise"post. To make a "noise" post goes against the basic principles of a "reference" website-but to remove these sorts of posts does a great deal of damage to a "community" website.

I like this place because of the noise posts. But I do actually agree( I know I will pull myself up off the floor lol) with the basic gist-at least of the appeal to calm down over the name of something.

It is the basic philosophy of PC to remove labels, so to bicker about one is ridiculous if it means valuable information is lost because of it.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Well kindly point me in the direction of thrown bathwater, bickering, where calming down or taking chill pills is needed or falling out has actually occured?

This I thought was a discussion forum..where things are um...discussed, or do I have it wrong?

I've repeated often enough in this topic that I am not hot under the collar throwing bathwater or anything but merely discussing something passionately from the point of view of actually knowing something about disability...so many here with counter arguments who have admitted not knowing the first thing about it.

I'm still cool calm and collected and can see no other posts from others that are counter to that. So chill with the chill comments...okay?

Steve...:)