1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Free stuff for GC Members

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by PCMedic, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
  2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    my wife has a prob on her laptop .... she gets the following message:

the following hard disks are reporting failure: disk name: Toshiba MK1246GSX ATA device volume: C:\

she has already tried to defrag, run malware, cc cleaner etc and still gets the message ... she uses AVG antivirus

any help?

3. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    If you haven't already back up any important files before you do anything else.

How old is the laptop/drive?

4. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Sounds like the hard drive is on it's way out Dim, has it taken any recent falls or bumps? hard drives really don't like that:what: the good mews is there usually not too expensive to replace (around £30-£60 depending on how much space you want) hard drives do have a limited life and laptop drives especially due to the moveable nature of a laptop:o

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    files are backed up ... not sure of the age of the laptop, but that should not be a problem .... it has the latest software and has been working well

it still works, but switches off by iteself from time to time and gives that error message

6. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    thanks for that .... has not been dropped or bumped .... it will be worth fixing if it is not too expensive

7. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Depending which version of Windows you're using.

My Computer or Computer > right click on the C drive > Properties > Tools > Error checking, check now for errors.

That's roughly what it is for Windows 7, will be similar for XP and Vista.

It may take a while though.

As A said above, wont cost too much to replace drive if necessary.

8. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    replacing it is the fix I'm afraid Dim hard drives are a closed unit and not physically fixable as I understand it although you say it keeps switching itself off? that sounds like and overheating issue to me which might be the root cause of the drive problems:scratch: how hot does it get? where are the fan vents located on the laptop? and does your wife use the laptop on her lap or soft cushioned surfaces?

back to the drive you can get software which will be able to tell you the health of the drive but I've never used any on windows so I'm having a look for a good free one on google for you:thumbsup:

take a look here Dim: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and scroll down to HD Tune (the free one) and then install it and do a quick scan (last tab and click the check box for quick scan)

9. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    thanks ... will have a look tommorow ... thanks for the link!

• Like Like x 1
    • jpjeffery

jpjeffery Gardener

IT Bloke
      Ratings:
      +25
      (SLIGHTLY late to the party but...)

My advice is to only have one (active) security/anti-virus (AV) program on your PC.

The only reason I say that is for performance. If you have more than one AV program running at the same time then each file you open is being scanned not just twice, but concurrently, which will adversely affect the performance of your machine.

When adding any software to your PC, it's also worth paying some attention to the installer.

Not so much for the T&Cs (although of course we all should...but really who actually does!?), but for the prompts that ask if you also want to installed 'McAfee', or 'Norton', or the 'Ask Toolbar', and so on. This is the most common way that people end up with multiple (and unwanted) anti-virus products on their PCs. There's nothing wrong with these extra products being installed, but they're not what you're actually trying to install, and they just 'bloat' your PC and make it run slowly.

• Like Like x 1