1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Freemontodendron tree with some disease but not sure what it is.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Macraignil, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +774
    I have a young freemontodendron tree that has had some nice big yellow flowers for the last couple of summers before this year. In spring I noticed some fluid oozing from the main stem of the young tree and the leaves were not growing as vigorously as they had done before. I posted a video here to show the tree now with the honey coloured fluid more visible than on some other days. It had no flowers this summer and has continued to look unhealthy. Is this honey fungus or some other pathogen that is likely to kill the tree and is there anything I can do to help the tree recover?

Thanks for any advice. Happy gardening!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Honey fungus usually attacks roots, but I think you have a serious problem.
    A kind of canker maybe.:scratch:
    As they are fast growing might be worth grubbing it out and getting another one.
    In my experience they like quite warm dry conditions, maybe on a wall.:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
      Ratings:
      +774
      Just read up on bacterial canker and it sounds like it could be a case of that alright. The recommended treatment was cutting out the effected branches but I'm afraid the case in my tree is in the main trunk below any branches so that does not sound like an option. The suggestion of getting another one also sounds a bit difficult here as I have only once seen it for sale in garden centres the once when I bought it and the garden centre I did find it in has since closed. Guess I'll just leave it be and hope it fights off the infection itself.
      Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1