Frustrated. Basic instructions needed please.

Discussion in 'How To ..........' started by lindyco, Apr 11, 2019.

1. lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi. I'm a member returning after long absence from GC to find that everything has changed & what used to be pretty intuitive now seems very complicated & confusing. I'm having difficulty finding basic instructions on creating posts & uploading photos and "How To..." things - I'm following trails to posts / threads which are now tagged with Error messages & not accessible. Is there anywhere on the site where I can find simple instructions for how to get started & which order to do things in? Clearly not in New Members (No Questions!) Can't even find the way in to Photo Bucket, which used to be so easy to use. I wanted to ask for ID on a Daphne but couldn't work out how to send a photo, so post went without one by accident!
    I tried using GC on my phone (Android) & can access the Forums, but in a new post I go to Upload Photo & it directs me to the camera, not to Photos/Gallery to select a pic.
    I know I can get my hand slapped for posting in the wrong bit of the Forum but I'm struggling here. Any help much appreciated! lindyco

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,348
    I tend to not use my phone, although I'm getting better at it.:biggrin:
    I use my laptop, big buttons and a mouse:)

You just write your message , then click on "upload a file" a box opens where you select a file from your PC, click on the one you want, then "open", the job is done.:smile:
    I dont think anyone uses Photobucket anymore, at least I don't.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Photobucket now want a huge amount of money to use their site so everyone has moved elsewhere. If you want a Photo storage site then check out Imgur. There are others as well.
    On my PC when I try to upload an image, the site takes me to the last section of my machine that I used. So if I uploaded an image from a file called Garden pics, for example, then the next time I want to upload an image, it will take me to that folder. It is then only a question of navigating to the correct file. Not sure how you do that on an Anroid thing.

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    Welcome back lindyco. :) You may find the following link will help you....

Index of How To's

5. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    My phone and tablet are both android. I use either equally. I tend to take most of my photos with my tablet so that's how I upload them.

G.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,295
      Welcome back, Lindy :dbgrtmb:

If you're talking about starting a thread then you just go to the section of the forum you want to post it in and you will find at the top right a blue highlighted part that says "Post New Thread" :blue thumb:

A simple way of uploading photos is to go to your album on your computer, highlight the photo or photos you want to download and drag and drop it into your post. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • lindyco

lindyco Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Thank you for your replies. I can now see a Files option when I go to upload a pic, which enables me to access the photos on my mobile. I uploaded a photo & added a Thread title. I wanted to add text but the post uploaded & I don't know what I did to make that happen! Do I have to put in text/photo in a particular order?
        Thanks again. Lindy

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,295
        Hopefully someone will be able to answer this soon. I don't use a mobile so don't know the answer. :noidea:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        Test

20180225_111607.jpg

I don't usually upload images from my Android phone or tablet as I prefer cropping and resizing on my laptop first, and had no problem uploading above image (no gardening related images on my tablet) then adding stuff like the quotes and further text before using the Post Reply before posting, but not tried with creating a new thread.

When the forum software was changed some years ago, links withn posts to earlier posts were not (all?) converted to the new format so don't work - is it those you're having trouble with? If so those links can be manually edited into the new format. I've described how to do it a long time ago, if you need something changing post the non-working link.

There was also a server problem causing loads of threads to be 'lost', but GC staff have restored lots of them and could probably restore a particular thread if requested.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 19, 2019