1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardener's Friend

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Fran, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Look what I found this afternoon, in the drizzly rain. A very welcome site [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lovely! I saw one last night walking down a main road. They are in serious decline now. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2238087.stm

Perhaps the message should go out to all gardeners. Help the hedgehogs and STOP using poisons

3. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a lovely Photo, Can't say it enough..Hornbeam is right NO SLUG PELLETS or we will very soon loose this beautiful creature,

4. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Fran, what a perfect piccie!!!

My slugs go flying over the wall to feast in the little field at the back :D Haven't seen my Hedgie for days :(

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It didn't look all that old, and it worried me that it was out in the middle of the afternoon - they are normally nocturnal. Parts of my garden are very dry (and I garden on clay)- it may be with the long dry period during June, that its getting harder to find its food perhaps.

Whilst there's no hose pipe ban here - I'm loath to turn on the sprinkler or hose, but may have to if we don't get some decent rain. The drizzle yesterday was not enough to do more than dampen the surface.

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Fran, he[?] does look lovely but it's my experience as well that you only see them in daytime if there's something wrong. I wish I could import some, I'm used to loads in the garden in Cambs., they lived under an enormous honeysuckle by the shed. I cut it back hard once and nearly trod on a nest of babies! I had to take one adult to the shelter as she was out in the daytime coughing and they said she had lungworm. Next day I found the babies out of the nest looking for Mum, and had to take them as well, but got them back safe and sound after treatment.

If anyone has an enclosed garden of suitable size, the hedgehog sanctuaries sometimes have crippled hogs which have lost a leg or eye and cannot manage well enough entirely on their own, but survive nicely with the help of the odd bowl of catfood. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We have now had 3 days of satisfactory rain and all the water butts are topped up again. [​IMG] Still very hot and humid though.

7. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have you seen him/her today Fran? Is he ok?

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Looks like a relative of my little friend we had in the garden toward the end of summer last year [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is his favourite lunchtime snack

[​IMG]

:D

Nathan.

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Haven't seen him since during the day. So maybe it was just hunger - he certainly moved OK and was bright eyed. Decided to give the garden a soak with the hose - that should bring a few of his favourite foods out. Hopefully I will hear him snuffling round one evening again.

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well my little friend is back. Saw him last night crossing the road as I returned from a meeting, and then as I was watering the garden tonight - he was there again. Seemed to be alert and moving OK - but he looks young. Hopefully he's finding enough food to keep going in this dry spell. Sadly I don't have any cat food I can leave out.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I find they even like the dried dog food that you can buy, its much easier than that meat type, and along with a bowl of water, they enjoy it.
    Trouble is it brings in cats from miles around, and I suppose it could encourage rats.