Greenhouse watering

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by steephill, May 3, 2024.

1. steephill

steephill Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    I am slightly in shock as my plan for an automatic watering system seems to have worked! I don’t want to leave the house water supply on when we go on holiday so I needed a fresh approach. I have previously used Gardena and Hozelock water timers but they never seem to last long.

I decided to try setting up 2x100 litre waterbutts inside the greenhouse connected up to a dripper system controlled by a 12V battery powered timer and water valve. I have added a solar panel to keep the battery charged. The battery is intended for mobility scooters so should have more than enough power. The valve is heavier duty than the branded timer versions too.

I calibrated the drippers today to make sure the system will work for longer holidays when I can’t refill the butts. I will be able to fill the greenhouse butts from others on various downpipes when I am at home so the system will stay in use for the whole summer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,229
      Got any pictures of this, sounds interesting.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,213
      You might want to take a look at our recent post using these Ceramic probes, which could work well with your water butts.

Worked ok on a couple of plants in 5" pots the other month, will be use the larger ones on the Toms once they get into their final big tubs.

The need a bit of time to get their flow adjustment right, but no worse that a motorised system.

Tropf Blumat Ceramic Watering Probe