Has my amelanchier died?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by L Brown, Apr 29, 2024.

1. L Brown

L Brown Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an amelanchier tree which is approx 15 years old. Up until last year it was very healthy (apart from having a bit of a lean), Last year however I noticed the leaves were quite sparse, then in the autumn they went brown and shrivelled but didn't fall off. This spring it has no leaves and has had no blossom. However- there is green under the bark still.
    Is there any hope for it? I've fed it and mulched it. I did wonder whether maybe it got too dehydrated last year, and whether I should have been watering it.

2. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +206
    Hi, could you post a picture? It does sound like it's gone if it hasn't shown any signs of life by now. The bark scrape test doesn't always mean it's still alive but rather that it's not completely dead yet.

3. L Brown

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Here's a photo I took the other day, it's not a close up but hopefully you can get the gist

Attached Files:

4. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,803
    I’m sorry to say that looks dead to me. Does it have any leaf buds at all?
    Mine was blossoming by early April and is covered with lush leaves at the moment.

5. L Brown

Ratings:
    +0
    I did fear as much. It doesn't have any leaf buds which look active - just little brown buds which may have formed at the end of last summer.

6. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,682
    It looks dead to me too. What a shame. Mine has finished flowering and has leaves. 2022 was very dry, that mine have been the start of the downfall. I watered mine in 22 and 23, but it's a lot younger than yours.

7. Craig John

Craig John Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    you could speak to a proper tree surgeon, they might be able to help bring it back to life or give advice for other trees that you might want to maintain, if you're based anywhere near the north west I had some trees taken down by Morris Brown Arborist, maybe get in touch:)