1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Motherwell

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Brizo, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Brizo

Brizo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

My dad and I have have been working on levelling out my slopey back garden during the lockdown period (some before/during/after pictures attached)

Joined the forum for hints & tips on plant choices for the surrounding edges, looking to see if anybody has a suggestion for a smallish type of conifer that could fit in here (something easy to maintain around fence height) even better if you have a picture of one from your own garden to see what's they're like when fully grown!

Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hey there Brizo and welcome to the forum.

This is some nice work you have done there. Judging from the neighboring houses and the child's toys on the lawn I guess you recently moved there and built a new home from scratch. Congratulations.

Regarding your conifer trees... I personally am not a big fan, because I think they are pretty much useless. But don't worry, there are plenty of gardeners in this forum to help you out.

I would go fore something a little more educational regarding your children. Something they can eat like (thornless) brambles and raspberries, blueberries, sleek growing apples (can be kept as the desired height by simply pruning their tops) or any currants. Gives the children something to play with and gets a few birds and bees into your otherwise barren (from their perspective) garden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Brizo. :) The garden looks great, you and your dad have done well. I presume there's access to the lawn although I can't see it in your pictures.

• Brizo

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks @Sheal !

Yeah there is access most of my pictures cover the main body of the garden but have a couple that show the before, very mucky during and tidy ever after (having trouble uploading these just bit get them on when I can)

My father-in-law takes the credit for the decking it's been a great project to work on.

@Black Dog thank you yeah conifers aren't my favourite but the wife really wants one, picked up one today (chamaecyparis lawsoniana columnaris glauca) on the advice of someone will see how it goes.

Picked up a Kilmarnock Willow for the front garden (Wife's choice again) it's been a costly day.

Think we will definitely get some stuff we can grow for our wee boy and educate him a bit, right now he's more for pulling the flowers apart just now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Brizo

Ratings:
        +2
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,374
        • Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,612
          Your pictures still aren't showing @Brizo. Is there a particular problem that we can help you with?

• Brizo

Ratings:
          +2
          @Sheal think I've fixed it now was an issue with my browser.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,612
            Yes, they're showing now. :thumbsup: If you want full size pictures there is a 'button' you can press when the thumbnails are displayed to open them up.

• Agree Agree x 1