1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from North Staffs

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by steveo, Feb 24, 2021.

1. steveo

steveo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I found this group whilst looking for advice on how to deal with a bamboo that is getting out of hand. I'm currently 'trying' to dig round it to put a barrier in. It's hard going as there are lots of tree roots nearby and I have to dig about two feet down all round two established clumps; but I think I've caught it before it spreads to a neighbour's garden. I'm not sure what species it is but it sends runners out like crazy.

I've also got a black/nigra bamboo which is too close to the fence to dig around, it isn't presenting a problem as yet; more a rumbling concern for the future as I've heard that they can be invasive, but without the runners issue.

I have a longstanding interest in hardy exotic looking plants and a particular fondness for palms in particular.

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    First of all welcome to the forum.
    I think you will find a lot of help here.

Regarding your runaway bamboo:
    Only thing that helps in my opinion is to set up hard boundaries in the form of a stone, metal of plastic barrier without any cracks or openings.

And if you are too late, and it has already spread over set boundaries I takes good old manual labor to root out anything that doesn't belong outside.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Steven, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup: