1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Potty Yorkshire!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Potty gardener, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Potty gardener

Potty gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi- yes I'm lucky to have had lots of homes in my life. I have family here and that has been a real help in the past few months. I have been to Ireland a few times- Ireland always feels like home, too! You are very lucky.

2. Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Wry smile as so many assure me that visiting Ireland and living here are two entirely different things. It is not an easy country to live in for many reasons. In deep rural areas especially. People see it as another part of England at first then the real Ireland emerges. The culture etc is a totally different set up. I had lived here for long periods a couple of times and even so.

Far better than the UK though! I would never come back there for any reason.

So glad you are happy where you are. I moved around a lot here for the work I was involved in but was so glad to finally retire to a small, isolated island. Peace and privacy mean so much.

: 26339"]Hi- yes I'm lucky to have had lots of homes in my life. I have family here and that has been a real help in the past few months. I have been to Ireland a few times- Ireland always feels like home, too! You are very lucky.[/QUOTE]

3. Potty gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I am sure
    [/QUOTE]
    Yes, I am sure that's true of most places! Some parts of Ireland are very rural and I'm not a country person. I have never thought that Ireland is a bit like England, I have family and friends there and agree you would have to live in a place to truly appreciate its idiosyncrasies. I am trying to adapt to village life here. Not so much rural just a bit of a backwater- a bit of only-for- locals place so I reckon after twenty years I may fit in! So, how is your garden? Do you grow much in pots?

4. Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,218
    lol... I choose deepest rural; I am on a small offshore island. By choice. As far away from towns etc as it is possible to get. The folk here have been here since Adam was a lad...Culture shock set in after the first month. But that was nearly four years ago and we rub along together now. I am a true solitary. North and West Mayo are the tops for me. I lived near here when I was first in Ireland and when things were right I came back and to a small island. Perfection! We are often cut off by the weather. Love it!

My small patches are hacked out of neglected field and a patch of brambles and nettles. I use what containers I can find; fish boxes are great. Sometimes they get washed ashore... the big ones you see at markets . No shelter or cover so I erect barriers against the frequent gales. I lived a decade in Outer Orkney so am well used to the ocean blasts.

The land here is shallow earth, then rock. We thus have no rabbits, but hares as they nest. I have six rescue cats so they stay clear. This year I have cleared/hacked out a wider border at the back but it is too exposed to the wind off the ocean, north facing, for serious growing.

I do what I can as we all do! And am at peace here; heading for 80 at a great rate.

Yes, I am sure that's true of most places! Some parts of Ireland are very rural and I'm not a country person. I have never thought that Ireland is a bit like England, I have family and friends there and agree you would have to live in a place to truly appreciate its idiosyncrasies. I am trying to adapt to village life here. Not so much rural just a bit of a backwater- a bit of only-for- locals place so I reckon after twenty years I may fit in! So, how is your garden? Do you grow much in pots?[/QUOTE]

5. Potty gardener

Ratings:
    +10

6. Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Achill have a road bridge so not really an island any more. Islands have to be accessed by water only!

I went there once when I was "auditioning" for my future island home. Too busy and inhabited.

For me. life here is not a challenge in any way; simply home in every way. I have lived this way before and happy to be back. Love it all. Never want t o see another town or village.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020