1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Thanet!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by The Tall One, Mar 12, 2019.

1. The Tall One

The Tall One Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there!

We're moving to a refurbished place in Broadstairs with a nice 10x12m west facing rectangle of a walled back garden.

My parents are devout Allotmenteers (they have 3!) And while I deeply resented being made to work them as a teenager now that I'm starting my own family I find myself more and more interested in the garden.

Been experimenting in our current place for a couple of years but now we're moving it's a Start From Scratch job. Going to need all the help I can get!

I look forward to shaking you all down for advice!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,884
      Good afternoon @The Tall One and welcome to Gardeners Corner my friend:smile:

66e7271f8e1fdd2a0d7b90fc292ddd46.jpg

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @The Tall One , welcome to Gardeners Corner :)

Soynds like you have a similar garden to mine only larger ( our's is about 5 by 12 m ).

• The Tall One

Ratings:
      +6
      Hi guys.

Yeah it's a decent space with some challenges. Neighbour on our south aide used the buying process as a window to demolish most of the garden wall and build an unspeakably ugly extension. We refer to it as Cell Block H. It's a horrid rendered block surrounded by Victorian houses. And it replaced a lovely old Victorian wall.

Anyway. First order of business is shade loving climbers to hide the damn thing!

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,314
      Welcome to this forum, The Tall One. I live at Ramsgate, so welcome to the high winds as well:sign0016:

• The Tall One

Ratings:
      +6
      Ooooo a native! I will have soil questions for you. Took some pH readings recently and got quite a range. Everything from 4 to 7.5, which seems unlikely. Lot of soil disturbance from the building works though so it's all a bit of a mess right now.

I'm seeing a lot of chalk in the soil but not necessarily the alkaline readings I'd expect to go with that. It's all a bit mysterious.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner The Tall One. :)

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hiya and welcome. Your soil test reveal that a lot of soil is imported. pH readings can set alarm bells ringing. 'Don't panick. A reading of 7.0 is generally accepted as being neuteral. Below indicating acidity and above, alkalinity. Unless you intend to grow exoctic plants stay calm.

Here on GC you are among friends from all over Britain but also the world. If you consult the many gardening books you will soon become confused. Books will usually outline textbook gardening. Gardening opens up a brand new world. You ask a question and you will get an assortment of replies. These replies are based upon personal experience, so take your pick. I look forward to your questions. Enjoy your garden.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      Welcome to GC. :dbgrtmb:

I think you're quite right there. A pH of 4 is highly unlikely and even acid loving plants wouldn't like that. :noidea: I would guess you caught a small spot where the builders might have dumped something but suggest that you test around that particular spot to try and isolate it. Of course, there could have been an error reading - were you drinking coffee at the same time? :) Coffee is quite acidic.

Good luck in your new home. :blue thumb: