1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from West Sussex

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by parcheesy, Jun 1, 2013.

1. parcheesy

parcheesy Apprentice Gardener

Travel Consultant
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi There,:new:

I'm Katie. I moved into a new house last July, and have finally got around to the stage of trying to get the garden sorted. Only problem is that I'm utterly clueless!

I live in West Sussex, right on the coast (lucky me!). I have a decent canvas to start with. Front garden is our main garden, and is south facing, mostly lawned, with a border at the front which needs some attention. A large overgrown plant right in the middle (my novice googling leads me to think it's a Jerusalem Sage), dwarfing the other plants around it, and a conifer in the corner.

The back garden is teeny, and north facing, so only gets very limited direct sunlight. There are a couple of Clematis' that I know need attention once they have finished flowering, and some overgrown Hellebores that also need attention. Along with some other unkowns both front and back.

I used to have the "if it's pretty it can stay" philosophy, but sadly in my last house (rented) my dog ate Aconite, and it killed her within half an hour. :sad: So one of the first jobs on my list is to make sure that I know everything that is in the garden, and remove any weeds/undesirables (I still have one other dog, and a toddler).

Then, I need to go about getting it into shape. Taking control of the out of control/overgrown plans that are there, filling gaps with other things, making it feel a bit more "beechy", and hopefully growing a few edible things too!

Bare with me, I'm sure to ask lots of questions!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

Sorry to hear about your Dog.

We've got a thread about poisonous plants Here

I'm going to make it a sticky again as we've had a lot of new members recently.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner Parcheesy. :) It's always good to have new members on board.

Sorry to hear about the sad loss of your dog, it is a rare occurrence that domestic animals eat something deadly to them and they usually have a built in sense of what to avoid.

Pictures of your gardens would be welcome when you have the time please. :)

• parcheesy

Travel Consultant
      Ratings:
      +25
      Happy to oblige! :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370104264.878785.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370104277.464062.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370104290.689399.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370104304.845064.jpg

This is the front garden and is the focus for now. The plastic us going, to be replaced with something smaller and less damaging to the lawn. Long term, we want to put a patio under the window, but will need to save for that!

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Katie, welcome to Gardeners Corner. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, the trouble is most of the plants we grow in our gardens are poisonous to a degree.:dunno: I'm sure members will come up with lots of suggestions for you....without costing a lot of money!!:heehee:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Hello and welcome Katie. Sorry to hear about your dog.

just picking up on a couple of points.

Re poisonous plants and toddlers, yes this is a worry. My son went through a phase of taste testing everything when he was between about 18 months and about 3. Strong flavoured edibles are a good think, tasting yuk to young taste buds, but completely harmless (in moderation). My favourite for this purpose (and lots of other purposes) is nasturtium. Its all round brilliant. Your kid and dog can safely taste test it to their hearts content and apart from twisting their noses up from the strong pepper flavour, nothing at all will happen to them.

You said you want it more 'beachy', and that you want a patio under the window but you need to save up first. Here's an idea. Why not take up the crazy paved straight path and keep the stones. Put in a nice winding path made of either crushed dolomite (I think that's right, the sandy coloured stuff used for many countryside paths, Zigs is our resident stone expert so he'll probably know), or a 50/50 mix of sand and small pebbles, which is dirt cheap from the builder's yard.

Replacing the straight path with a winding one serves several purposes. First up, it will make your garden seem bigger, because straight lines draw the eye directly to the end of the garden. Also its the fastest route across covering the least ground, so it seems smaller. Also, kids love to follow winding paths. They like straight paths too, and it wont take a toddler very long at all to traverse that straight path straight from the house to the gate and out into the street, whereas if its a curvy one, you get a little bit more time to see where they're heading. The other think is you don't see straight edges in nature, including down the beach. With careful choice of planting you might be able to give some illusion of waves washing over your curvy sand coloured new path.

Remember I suggested save the stones, well there'd be enough there to make a nice patio. I used smashed up boring 3x2 flag stones to make my patio and it looks pretty good. Certainly better than you might expect. That way you already have the top of your patio there, and you only need to buy in sand and cement (you'll be able to get some hardcore for a foundation from anywhere).

Total cost I reckon for all of the above would be around £150 max, which is for the sand and cement for the patio plus about £40 for a tonne of 50/50 sand/pebbles mix for the path.

Just an idea:)

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,612
          Thanks for the pics Parcheesy. :) The sun is a bonus for you (when it shines) it will help your future plants grow well.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,886
          Good evening Katie and a warm welcome to Gardeners Corner my friend:)

[​IMG]

• parcheesy

Travel Consultant
          Ratings:
          +25
          Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

Clueless1, thanks for the great ideas. Unfortunately hubby says no to the crazy paving. He hates it! We're going to try freecycle and we also have a local salvage yard, so will see what we can lay our hands on. Love the path idea!

• Like Like x 1
          • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,631
            Hi Katie - always good to welcome new members - a mad team but very friendly and knowledgeable! Enjoy!

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Welcome to GC Katie:dbgrtmb: .....I too am so sorry about the dog:sad:.....
            Have a good look around the forum and you'll have your 'Beachy' garden before you know it:thumbsup: you'll get loads of great ideas and advice....Enjoy.....

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
            Ratings:
            +1,667