1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! Gardener wanted to tame garden of run-down house

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by RhiannonMulrenan, Aug 26, 2008.

1. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too Pops I have found that 9999999.9999% of people in here to be very kind in thought and deed and full of info.... and they never seem to tire of my daft questions :)

30.quid an hour my goodness Ive missed my vocation in life:eek:

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Were you in the scouts Nut? you missed the clean bit off "a scout is clean in thought word and deed":D

3. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    scouts...ow very dare you I was a soddin brownie...wanna see me toggle..or woggle oops I mean me badge for making beans on toast

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,532
    Would not that be a neat job. A traveling gardener. Travel from country to country, fixing up old/forgotten gardens, staying there with free room and board, seeing the sites of the local area. Finishing the gardens then moving to the next forgotten glen.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I think my comment was quite mild, perhaps a bit terse but hey, you must get easily offended.

Anyway at the end of the day its my own opinion, thats all.

What you were sudgesting is a very strange arangment, not one that would normaly ocur hence my comment.

If you have questions about pruning etc then ask away, hell I might even reply I give advice often enough.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

Hi Red-Kind of like the littlest hobo with a trowel. Or the A team!

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    BTW, if the £30 ph includes waste removal then id say its fair. Out of the £30 comes insurance, fuel, machinery costs, tax, accountancy fees, waste disposal etc. At the end of this the contractor will ACTUALY be making around £15-£20 or less an averadge hourly rate for many jobs.

You then have all the unseen time maintaing equipment, priceing up work etc.

Personally I dont work on an hourly basis, One off jobs are done on a fixed price, regular work at day rate. Obviusly one off type jobs attract a premium (this is the norm).

Maybee i am a bit touchy but it pees me off something cronic the misconceptions about garden maintance and self employment in general.

If anyone thinks its a walk in the park then they can come and work with me for a day and see the realitys of the job.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    The lad has made an intelligent point P.

Either way, you`re both getting on me wick now with this row, can you not both drop it?

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I have left it, I havent made any postings on the subject today.

11. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think 30 quid a hour is a bit steep myself unless they get alot done in a hour i personally read the post as they want to pay for the work but also want the person to teach em how to do it themselves :D

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Spud-In that first hour a lot gets sorted, primarily the extent of work needed. As a first visit, if I were a professional horticulturalist I would charge a heck of a lot more.

If I ever move to Bristol which is as likely as me swimming the Atlantic I`ll get you in.

13. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pops u cant go to Bristol its full of folk who talk funny

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,664
    Sounds like the job for someone who's basically retired but likes a challenge.

Give me another 12yrs and maybe I'd like the job.:D

I've been to Findon.

Its a very nice area.:)

15. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0