1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! Gardener wanted to tame garden of run-down house

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by RhiannonMulrenan, Aug 26, 2008.

1. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ive started to charge alot to sort a mess then dropping down the price due to people saying they want me regular then droppin me when its looking good :rolleyes: however 30 quid a hour for basic maintanace is alot in my opinion ;)

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think thats the worst part-do a good job then get sacked off. I think the problem is that it is seen as a hobby-an interest, and then they get a shock when they ask for a professional quote.

3. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    AHHHH made 666 posts there :eek: lol yep i think that is the problem on the whole i charge by the hour ;) makes the day easyer for me then :D

4. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I worked it out at 30 quid an hour for once a year hedge cutting. It is regular work and we are already booked in for next year. The guy has more work than he can handle. He has a 20 minute drive to the site where he can dispose of clippings which is a 40 minute round trip, plus he has to pay the farmer to dump the stuff there. His equipment is top notch.

I work in manufacturing, it is my own company. I know what life in the real world is like. I understand the importance of having the best tooling for the job and I know how much it costs and all the other costs involved in running a business.

Yawn ...... ;) :D

5. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ah ha i see :o i charge 35 a hour for that lol lol :o

6. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha - You must be loaded :D It seems to be the game to be in:thumb:

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    UJH, fair enough.

Spud, My prices are worked out on an hourly rate I just dont tell the customer.

I cant argue that £30 an hour isnt a fair whack, more infact than I charge howevr living costs in the SW are not as high as HANTS. Personally i aim to make around £150 - £200 pd (an averadge wadge) for most trades. IMO this is a fair price for a good service. I do not remove waste and this is charged extra at cost.

i only advertise for fence repair and replacement, The garden maintance and property maintance work I do is via recomendation only now, day to day I am kept fully booked.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    For the record, My equipment investment is close on £40,000. Substantially more than many trades yet my prices are comparable. Perhaps I should have been a Brickie!!!!

9. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    40 grand :eek: what the hell have ya got ;) just out of interest do you pay yourself the same ammount every week ? ( i dont wanna know how much by the way lol )

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lolli, In the first hour a cup of tea and a biccy are consumed!!!!!

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Spud, I take a fixed wadge out the business.

Re equipment A heck of a lot!!!, Remember that I have a pestcontrol business and also do a lot of property maintance, each has seperate equipment.

Basicly Ive geared my business so i work for the type of customer for whom money isnt an issue but trust and quality are. On top of this I quote for and carry out work on normal propertys but I have no intrest in being competetive they either employ me or not.

One day I might have a 100' beach tree to fell, the next i could be painting windows or laying a patio, the next doing normal garden maintance or diging a pond out with a 5 ton 360. In my evenings i do the pestcontrol.

I couldnt ask for a better job but I work damned hard for every penny I earn. Thus I do feel peed off if I feel the proverbial is being taken.

12. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah but 40 grand :eek: though saying that i supose if i include the van ive probably got about 20 grands worth of stuff just for the gardening :D mounts up dont it

same here :D sadly though i dont get the big jobs like you but on the other hand i can make about £150 a day an only need to drive about 15 miles :)

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That`s one expensive gypsy cream Paul-you`d have to have the own brand rich tea finger.

A good point was made there-I hate to use certain terms, about "target market". If you gear prices and fees according to your market you can`t go far wrong I think.

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all, just catching up with all the threads here. I'm glad this has calmed down. Here's my 2p worth.........

A few years ago before I got into gardening I was in a situation where I didn't have the time or inclination to keep it tidy. All it was was abit overgrown round the edges but I just couldn't face it. I looked in the paper for a company, found one, they came round. At the end I paid them £100 for a couple of hours work (they were the workers not the owners). All they did was cut it down, didn't do any digging or anything.

Now that was a rip off. They weren't professionals at all.

All the same, now I really appreciate 'proper' professionals & would pay accordingly. It's true that people don't appreciate what's behind a real business.

It is a shame though that there aren't people out there that just want a bit of pocket money & maybe no longer have there own garden to work, or it's too much to keep on top of one but you could do a bit at a time. Anyway, I'm not knocking what you pro's charge.

Maybe it's a good idea to place adverts in the local shops etc, just be aware of who comes knocking! I think the idea of a travelling gardener is fantastic - never mind other countries, I'm sure there's enough gardens in the UK to keep them busy. Now, that's the kind of job I would love if I was younger - oh, of course and had the knowledge:)

cheers

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Borrowers-I have a fourteen yr old lad you can have for a weekend. He is over 6ft tall and 13 st so not a slip of a lad, bit of an attitude-everyone is against him etc, but he responds to a clip round the ear. LOL-PS if you can get him to work it is part of the deal that you tell me how you did it.