1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wasps Nest

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Beckie76, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    I was getting on so well clearing out the attic but I've been stopped in my tracks because behind one of the cardboard boxes is a wasps nest about the size of a football :yikes:. I've never climbed down the attic ladder so fast in my life! :runforhills: All Kev could do was laugh at me! He said the speed of me dashing across the attic was hilarious!

Does anyone know anything about wasps? Will they be hibernating? Or is it too warm this year? Will they have left the nest? How can I remove it? Do I need an expert? I'm sorry so many questions but I don't know anything about removing nests!
    Any help or advice would be great :dbgrtmb:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    We had one in our last house. Only then, I was working freelance and my office was in the attic.

I became aware of a mucky stain covering half the window, so I drew the curtain back for a better look and saw it wasn't a stain at all. It was hundreds of wasps all huddled together. Drawing the other curtain revealed another cluster. I got the hoover and hoovered them up, hoover pipe in one hand, rolled up newspaper in the other to fend off the few that managed to get airborne to retaliate.

Next night there were hundreds more, so I realised they must have a sizeable nest in there somewhere. I found it. It was huge, behind a trapdoor in a small enclosure, so I came up with a plan. I bought two cans of wasp spray and some tape. I opened the trapdoor, then taped the button down on one can of spray, and chucked it in like a grenade. All the wasps came out and started attacking the discharging wasp spray grenade. While that was happening I did the same with the second can, then closed the trapdoor.

Next night there were hundreds of wasps in my office again, so I gave up and hired a professional. It cost about £50 if I remember right.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,435
      Thanks for your reply @clueless1, I've been awake in the night thinking about the wasps nest :doh:it's time to call a profesdional in. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,330
        Don't mess around but get a professional in. It's possible that it's a long disused nest but it's not worth taking chances. You may want to shop around by phone and ask their prices, and what they charge if it turns out to be empty. :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,986
          Well, I have dealt with 6 wasps nest this year. Mostly where they have built in the birds nesting boxes.
          One thing you should know is that they do not return to a used nest.
          The one in your loft will be empty as the 'worker' wasps will have all died at the beginning of winter, even if it has been mild, You may well find an overwintering queen somewhere in the attic, but she will be asleep so easy to kill with any ordinary flying insect spray.
          Any honest operative will tell you that they are not needed.
          Still worried? Then get one of the Wasp nest sprays and soak the nest in it. You can spray from a far enough distance to to be able to escape if anything come out of the nest, which I doubt very much.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,595
            It was much colder than this outside when my wasps nest was active.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,640
            I've heard wasps make a completely new nest each year.
            So I doubt you need to worry too much.

Unless of course I heard it wrong.:biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,621
              If I recall correctly (late 90's), we phoned the council. They either send someone themselves, or some environmental health (?) person. They dealt with it from outside by finding the hole under the gutter, and pumping some stuff in it up a long rigid tube. Job done :)
              I think it cost about £35 then.
              It's not nice when you walk in your bedroom, and find hundreds of wasps in it :sad:. I think they had made a hole through the ceiling. We closed the door and sealed it :heehee:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I agree with Palustris, we get a fair number every year, in our stables mainly. I'd doubt there will be any wasps in the nest but could be a good idea to spray it with foam before you move it just in case.Let us know how you get on!

• Friendly Friendly x 1