Hill Walk

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by fairygirl, Apr 27, 2024.

1. steephill

steephill Gardener

Ratings:
    +201
    Hoping to visit Glasgow (and other bits) this summer as we haven’t been up since Covid struck.
    I remember hitching a lift from some Dutch students and being surprised at their reaction when we dropped into Glencoe from Rannoch Moor - I think awestruck would cover it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scroggin

Scroggin Gardener

Mechanical Technician, Retired
      Ratings:
      +314
      Thanks @shiney , totally agree about the heat, because we have a Border Collie we tend to walk early and late if it's going to be hot. It also has the advantage of missing the crowds, I do enjoy meeting people on the hills but we stay away from the honeypot areas at peak times.
      I can remember a few years ago going up Scafell and having the walk to ourselves, from the summit looking across to Scafell Pike it looked like Piccadilly Circus.

• Like Like x 2
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +2,463
        That's where the prison is isn't it @shiney ? Papillon/Henri Charriere?
        I've not been overseas that often, but you've clearly enjoyed all your travels to all sorts of places :smile:

Hope you enjoy returning to 'the motherland' @steephill ;)
        There's a right stooshie going on about this proposed Flamingo Land development at the Balloch end of L. Lomond. Tourism is necessary, but this whole thing sounds ludicrous. The infrastructure won't be appropriate. People in the area are rightly furious about it.
        The run along to Glencoe from Rannoch Moor is certainly striking- especially in winter. :smile:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +119,934
        Yes, that's the prison. There are actually three island forming the penal colony and the majority of criminals were on Ile Royale.

Apart from travelling, many years ago, for work one of my hobbies was writing about far away places and finding out about some of the lesser known facts and stories. I've been travelling for over 60 years but slowing down now. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +2,463
          Another outing last Friday, 10th May, to make the most of the weather. Very hot again, and only a good breeze now and again, and at the summit.
          One of my favourite hills - Beinn an Lochain, just next door to Ben Donich from the previous walk, and seen in some of the pix.

The locals are always friendly :smile:

111_0195.JPG

Bluebells looking good now
          111_0198.JPG

A view down Loch Restil
          111_0200.JPG

First sight of the main summit area 111_0202.JPG

Loch Restil, with the Rest and be Thankful car park further along the road
          111_0205.JPG

I moved further along the little spur on the right, as I realised I hadn't got the entire lochan in the pic. That's when the battery died on the new camera - d'oh!
          An hour and a half later, there was enough juice to get a summit pic. A hazy day
          111_0206.JPG

I got another of the loch later on, which I've put on the May Photo comp. thread, and there was just enough oomph left for a view back to the summit area half an hour later too
          111_0208.JPG

I met a group of people on the way down. This tiny row of dots, circled, is them approaching the summit. There was another chap making his way along the ridge, just out of shot in the previous pic.
          111_0208.JPG

I liked this rock too
          111_0204.JPG

Camera now fully charged and ready for it's next outing ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
          • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
            Ratings:
            +1,630
            Always lovely to see your hill walking pictures.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +2,463
            Thanks @Punkdoc. It's not a big day [about 4 hours or so] as you don't have a long walk in, and always enjoyable.
            Met a nice chap over from Fife, and we had a very good chat for twenty minutes or so. We put the world to rights - as you do!

• Liriodendron

Liriodendron Gardener

Retired gardener
            Ratings:
            +334
            I've just found this thread - lovely, thanks @fairygirl ! :) I've just returned from a week on Lismore [island just off Oban, for anyone who doesn't know it], travelling by train from Glasgow. It's a beautiful route which gives great views of mountains I'm too creaky to climb any more...

• Like Like x 1
            • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
              Ratings:
              +1,630
              Always one of my great joys when hill walking, @fairygirl, you are alone in vast empty spaces, you bump into a fellow hill walker and chat for a few minutes, as if you have known each other all your lives.

• Like Like x 1
              • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
                Ratings:
                +1,630
              • Scroggin

Scroggin Gardener

Mechanical Technician, Retired
                Ratings:
                +314
              • Liriodendron

Liriodendron Gardener

Retired gardener
                Ratings:
                +334
                Well remembered, @Punkdoc . Yes, our family has owned a little cottage on Lismore for 34 years... it now belongs to our son, but I go there whenever I can. The travelling is a bit more complicated now we live in Ireland, involving a lot of (free) travel on trains in Ireland, and sometimes nights in a couple of hostels en route, but it's worth it... I've learnt a lot of DIY skills over the years, and spent some time during this last visit fitting a new door lock, as well as clearing large areas of brambles to uncover the septic tank, so it can be emptied.

Still time to enjoy the view, though. This was taken on the evening I arrived, from the garden.
                20240427_210138.jpg
                Brambles, later removed, in foreground!
                Morvern peninsula in the background. I think that's Beinn Mheadhoin, but I could be wrong... we tried to climb it many years ago, but there's no recognisable path and too much bog.

• Like Like x 2
                • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
                  Ratings:
                  +1,630
                  Lovely picture, helping me get excited, as we will be heading north in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
                  • fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
                    Ratings:
                    +2,463
                    I've only just seen your post @Liriodendron - sorry. I'm not sure what hill that is in your pic, but the only B. Mheadhoin I know is one of the Munros in the Cairngorms.
                    Got out on Tuesday, to make the most of the weather before it returned to the usual state yesterday. Another favourite - The Brack. A steep little hill, at just shy of 2,600 feet altitude, with no real respite from the incline, but the view when you reach the lochan at around 2,000 feet is always one of my favourites, and makes the effort worthwhile.
                    First view of the northern side of the hill as you come out of the little bit of forestry. Cuckoos were calling somewhere, but quite far off
                    111_0249.JPG
                    The path runs alongside the burn, so always plenty of photo opportunities when you cross, as well as being useful for a paddle or filling a water bottle on the way back!
                    111_0252.JPG

The rowans were looking good - Beinn an Lochain in the distance
                    111_0258.JPG

I took these on the way back down, but this is the view when you reach the shoulder
                    111_0301.JPG

The little lochan from the other end- with Ben Lomond in the background
                    111_0275.jpg

View across to some of the Arrochar hills- The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain
                    111_0271.JPG

Beinn Narnain's Spearhead Ridge, with Ben More and Stob Binnein in the distance behind it
                    111_0281.JPG

The other Arrochar Munro, Beinn Ime, with the Corbett Beinn Luibean on the left - and the Queen of the Hills, Bein Lui in the middle distance
                    111_0285.JPG

It was even clear enough to see Ben Nevis, and it's arete, although it's too far for the camera to pick it up clearly
                    111_0287.JPG

View across to Cnoc Choinnich which has been upgraded to Corbett status, and can be done along with The Brack. I'll get round to that some day :smile:
                    The huge boulders are like sentinels standing guard.

111_0307.JPG
                    111_0303.JPG

Some little rowans on all the crags, where they manage to survive everything that the weather flings at them, all year round. There were loads of young trees, but they don't often get to a great height - for obvious reasons.

111_0311.JPG
                    A lovely day - with a good breeze, and best of all - had the hill all to myself...apart from the sheep.:)

• Like Like x 5
                    • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
                      Ratings:
                      +1,630
                      Fab, pictures, as always.
                      If I gave you a list of my favourite hills, perhaps you could do a photo montage from all of them. :)