Hill Walk

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by fairygirl, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Liriodendron

Liriodendron Gardener

Retired gardener
    Ratings:
    +334
    I love the way rowans grow on top of rocks, with their roots spreading through cracks. I guess it's the only way they can avoid being munched by sheep...

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Indeed @Liriodendron . I took a pic of one of the large boulders which has moss/heather etc on it, but there's also a little rowan growing there. The amount of rain there means they often survive for quite a long time in very inhospitable circumstances. There was certainly a really good amount of saplings :smile:

I'm not sure I'd have the ability to do that @Punkdoc ! Perhaps @David K could help you though? He's been posting again on this forum which is good. He was missed on G'sW when that Nora woman took agin him and he left. I'm getting the hang of the way to do a bigger post with all the photos now, as it wasn't as easy as I thought.
    I missed your earlier post about chatting on a hill. I know exactly what you meant about that. I've no interest in talking to anyone I meet on my daily walks round here, but a hill is totally different. That chap last week was great. :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • David K

David K Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +818
      Love to be able to help, fairygirl....but other than compiling them as thumbnails, can't think how it could be done.
      It soooo good to see your gorgeous shots.

Do you still have your Fuji camera?

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +2,463
      Hi @David K - sorry, didn't see your reply. No, the Fuji has kicked the bucket more or less. The zoom was really struggling, which was very frustrating, especially if there was a bird in the garden, and it's worse on a hill, and by the time it had decided to work, it was too late!
      I got a similar camera - a Kodak Pixpro, and it has an even greater zoom on it, and much the same in terms of features. The main disadvantage is that it has an internal rechargeable battery, which isn't quite so handy, but that's how it is. It's a bit heavier too. I'm still getting used to it, and the panoramic feature isn't so clear, but I'll get there.
      When you consider how far away some of those distant hills are in the most recent pix, it's great. Nevis is around 45 miles away.
      The views down the lochs [L. Long and L. Goil] are always lovely on a fine day
      111_0294.JPG

111_0284.JPG

This was a first for me - trying to take a photo of my own top when I had a wee hitchhiker! Only about half an inch long. Could have done with his/her wings though...
      111_0270.JPG
      I should have stayed on the hill for another hour or so, as it would have saved the hour sitting in the traffic jam on the way back instead, due to an accident near the Cameron House Hotel/Duck Bay. The joys of the A82 ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • David K

David K Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +818
        Thank you, still very reassuring to see you producing such exceptional work.
        DK x

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +2,463
        That's very very kind of you @David K .
        I wonder if the sweet peas will be worthy this year!

• David K

David K Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +818
        Sps looking good as of now. :spinning:

Just hoping that my legacy will be that I helped some people to grow nice sweet peas, and enjoy their cameras. :old: