1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hobbies various.

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Scudo, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    An interesting thread re hobbies, Over the years I have just stumbled in and out of various ones along the way. I just enjoyed them but never any good at any one of them. At school I collected fossils and enjoyed astronomy. It would be fair to say it all started when I was 15 and I got an old mantle clock from a cathedral for no other reason than I wanted to I took it to bits and rebuilt it, that gave me for a while an interest in old clocks repairing where I could, with the remaining ones stored in the attic for the last 30 years.

In my early 20s I got interested in pencil drawing and limited watercolour painting, none of them any good but I enjoyed that for a few years, I was hopeless at school and never got anywhere near passing art exams.

From 30 – 50s it was mainly gardening but then I bought a motorbike (ended up with 4) and slowly the garden got converted to lawn to save time. I had to rebuild 2 of my bikes as the engines had problems, I just followed the Haynes manuals as I had no idea what I was doing.

Around my early 40s I got an old miners lamp off an uncle so started collecting brass lamps/heaters/irons/stoves, including a paraffin iron, I still have some in the attic.

From early 50s I got interested in computers and focussed on xl spreadsheets and Photoshop editing that still continues to this day.

In my 60s I got interested in lock picking, done this for a couple of years but again fell by the wayside.

Also in 60s started doing some woodwork DIY projects, built a fence, rebuilt a shed, a couple of gates, refurbished shower room & kitchen and just this year from all the bits of leftover wood I built a patio table.

5 years ago back in to gardening as my wife wants flowers.

Probably missed some but will post some pictures as I come across some of my stuff.

• Like Like x 5
      Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836

:thumbsup::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,497
        [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
          Ratings:
          +268
          This is a short video clip of the Tilley paraffin iron, fill with paraffin, pressurize, pre-heat and then ignite.

View My Video

• Like Like x 1