1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Homebrew Recipes.

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Lea, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Ah, that explains it. I normally put a big jug with a spoon in it on the scales, add the sugar and use boiling water from the kettle to dissolve it as I worry about caramelisation and suicidal wine flies heating stuff up in pans on the stove.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    After the exploding Pineapple, I didn't want to add the water till it had died down a bit :)

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    But isn't it the sugar, rather than the water making your wine explode? (unless you're making sodium or potassium wine).

Pineapple juice is always rather 'pulpy' and can contain a lot of sugar - I've just had a look at a carton from Tescos and it contains 123 g/L which if fermented out would be approaching the strength of White Lightning.

But it's very underrated ingredient that can be used (in conjunction with white grape/ or white grape and apple juice) to make a really good fast maturing wine, although it can be a real sod to clear which is why I make anything using it in at least 5 gallons at a time because a Wilkos finings sachet currently costing 80p will clear 6 gallons/36 bottles (2p/bottle and well worth it) that will be drinkable the next day.

4. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Yes, I learnt the hard way with pineapple. I ended up having to repaint the ceiling in the wine making room. Twice! So now I make it in very large batches. Much easier to manage and much less mess. :)

• Agree Agree x 1