1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How Does Your Cat Sleep?

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by shiney, Feb 7, 2020.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    It sounds like they're making some progress :). Soon be hogging the sofa and your bed, no doubt. If I turn onto my side Dimitris immediately worms himself into the extra space and turns to stone, preventing me from turning back. I end up with around 3 inches of mattress to sleep on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      First real contact!! I was making breakfast for the Kittens ands me when I heard a mewing noise and looking down saw that the small black and white Kitten, (Fern) was poking her head through the back struts of one of the Kitchen cushioned chairs while lying on her side.
      I put my hand down and she sniffed it without retreating and has done so 3 times so far. They spent most of the last evening peering through the glass Lounge/Kitchen door again, but Fern must have got bored and wanted to go a little further this morning:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 5
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,720
        Progress... one step at a time I always say. [​IMG] :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Agree Agree x 3
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,610
          Good going @ARMANDII ! It's always nice when they finally realize that you are a friend not a threat :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, I still have the white one, Teasel, (the one I wore as a "glove" last week and who reduced my hand to a bloody mess) to accept me, but hopefully Fern by accepting me fully will help me on that, Lori:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              One step.........and around 60 scratches and bites, Victoria:hate-shocked::dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                Ratings:
                +6,899
                That is good news indeed with Fern:). Do you have some piccies, please?

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Not as yet, Lucius. I was just heading for bed last night at midnight but on checking on the Kittens I saw Fern, the little black and white one, and her tail just disapearing into one of the Kitchen cupboards, (don't ask me how she got it open), and found she had got into a recess behind the rear wall:wallbanging:. I then spent over 20 minutes emptying the cupboard and then trying to "coax" her out of the recess. She eventually shot out of the recess and I spent another 10 minutes putting things back into the cupboard.........and then I went to bed. She's obviously quite forgiving as today, while still on the chair under the Kitchen table she was asking to be stroked, scratched under the ears etc, while purring happily. Teasel, however, is proving harder to win over and seems to look on disapproving as her sister gets stroked and scratched behind the ears and on her stomach!! Pics will take some effort but I will try.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Just as an observation to the above post, I actually had to squeeze the upper half of myself into the narrow corner cupboard and twist to the right to get the Kitten out. Getting out of the cupboard proved easier for the Kitten than me and I really had to forced my way out and, in the process, managed to crack a rib on the left side, which now feels as though it's on the mend.
                    It feels like a long, and painful, battle to get the Kittens to accept me but gradually, over days and weeks, the smaller, friendlier black and white Kitten, Fern, started to want attention, a stroke and rub on her belly while under the Kitchen table on one on the cushioned chair. Her, twice as large, pure white sister, Teasel, was still nervous, ready to run or move out should I get too close and, bearing in mind she was the one who turned my right hand into a bloody mess and my left hand into a less bloody mess, I was not going to push her. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think getting two sister Kittens to accept a "two legged monster" as friendly and perhaps the Alpha is a darned sight harder than getting a single Kitten to do so. Two sister Kittens know and trust each other and when seemingly "threatened" they unite together in a defensive cuddle so it's "two against one"!...........I digress:dunno::wallbanging:
                    Anyway, a major breakthrough through as today when Fern demanded her now usual stroke and rub of her belly under the Kitchen table on the cushioned chair, which both Kittens were sharing, I knelt down and started stroking Fern. To my shock I found a pure white head being pushed over the top of her black and white sister and so I stroked and scratched it gently expecting an immediate exit but, no, the head remained where it was. So, still going in and out of the Kitchen today as normal I've been stroking Fern as demanded but also increasing my now permitted stroking and scratching of Teasel's head and neck. On the last session Teasel actually laid her head on top of the belly of her wrigglng sister and closing her eyes actually purred in contentment as I gave her neck and head a good, long, scratch and stroke:hate-shocked: and :hapydancsmil:. I'm more than shocked how quickly the situation has changed and that Teasel now without being induced......not that you can get a Kitten to something it doesn't want to. So, I think I've now been accept naturally as friendly by both Kittens and perhaps the Alpha but more stroking and scratch of two heads will tell.
                    The only thing left is to get them to accept is that they don't have to run under the table onto the chair when I come into the Kitchen. At the moment they freeze and then slowly slip towards their base on the chair under the Kitchen table.:wallbanging::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 5
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +9,233
                      Wonderful news!! That’s made my evening :hapydancsmil:

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,610
                        Good news @ARMANDII ! Don't worry, they'll start expanding their trust zone and soon you'll find one in your lap :)

• Like Like x 1
                        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,610
                          Forgot to say @ARMANDII , thanks for the giggle.

Picturing you stuck half into a cupboard reminded me of a story I used to read to my kids and I believe the moral of the story was "lay off the honey!":heehee:

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself and I hope you heal quickly. Most beer has a good dose of calcium (good for the bones) so please imbibe for medical reasons :)

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            My excuse, Loris, is that the entrance of the cupboard is half that of a normal cupboard and having to lie on your side on the floor is a practice I gave up many years ago while in the RAF, that plus:old:.:hate-shocked:

And thanks for the sympathy, Lori.:doh:

• Like Like x 1
                            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                              Ratings:
                              +30,610

Oh no, now I picture you lying on the floor in a Buzz Lightyear take off position! Arghhh:doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                                Ratings:
                                +6,899
                                They're coming around, little by little. It must be difficult for them as they have no other cat to tell them you are friendly and a good thing to have around. And you mentioned they haven't had a very good start in life too. But, they seem to be heading in the right direction now. Sorry to read you cracked a rib though. Hope you recover soon.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1